Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

The 'door open' symbol is showing on the Siemens E 12 46

Customer Question

The 'door open' symbol is showing on the Siemens E 12 46 washing machine - when the programme is selected and the door closed, and machine will not start.
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Siemens E 12 46, 6 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No thank you.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Can you post the full model number please. It will be on a sticker on the inside of the door and starts E-nr.

Also if you try slamming the door will this start the washer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Full model number is *****Yes have tried all ways of shutting door. The latch seems fine (not broken) everything seems good. My only thought is that whatever sensor is there to tell the machine that the door is shut is not working.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The door engages just as it always has but the machine still thinks it is open. I have made sure that the latch works and is clean the seal is all good. I am 99% certain that the door is closing properly but as previously stated the machine will not recognise this. I would be happy to bypass the machines (door not shut) protocol if that is at all possible.

Thanks for that.

If the door latch is fine but the door just wont lock even when slammed then its more then likely the door lock. This is the part which the door latch pushes into as it should lock the door.

When you get this fault its a case or replacing the door lock from there. To access it you need to remove the metal clamp from the outside of the door seal. Then unlip the door seal and then you can access the door lock from there.

Replace the lock and that should cure the fault from there. Now there is a chance it could be the control board itself. But 8 times out of 10 its the door lock that causes thi fault.

But as to bypassing it this cannot be done anymore on modern machines. You could do it on the older washers but modern washers you cannot bypass door locks any more im afraid. If faulty its a case of replacing the lock in afraid.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thanks for your help. I will look into it.

No worries, If you need anymore info just get back to me.

If you could remember to rate the answer that would be great. You can still get back to me on this even after rating so that isnt a problem.