Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a Smeg fridge/freezer, seperate doors. It's about 9

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Smeg fridge/freezer, seperate doors. It's about 9 years old. The inside back of the fridge at the top has about 1.5cm of frost built up fairly recently. And the overall temperature of the fridge doesn't seem to be keeping as cold as usual even though it's almost at its highest setting. The top right seal on the door has had a gap for several years which is irritating but doesn't appeared to have affected the performance of the fridge noticeably in the past. Oh I'm also now having to wipe water droplets off the roof of the fridge daily. Any suggestions for what to do to fix it? Thanks jo
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: SMEG FAB30NES6, approx 9 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Probably not unless it's easy, my partner is fairly handy with things but not an expert.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The frost is blocking air flow and the reason for the lack of good cooling. Open the doors for 24 hours with it unplugged and it should thaw and restore cooling. Using a hair dryer to warm the gasket so it will expand and seal better will help the seal, too!