Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

Neff dishwasher problem - I am still awaiting help. Here is

Customer Question

Neff dishwasher problem - I am still awaiting help. Here is a little more information. Just to make it clear, my neff s5543x2gb/38 dishwasher has a problem. The issue started when I noticed it didn't finish the wash cycle on a 35,50,65 degree wash programme. The rinse programme worked, water pumped, drained etc. When the other cycles were selected the programme would pump and drain, open tablet dispenser etc but would just continue to wash after about 30 minutes. After some online research it appeared that I needed a new heat element. I replaced the heat element complete part, and after putting the dishwasher back together switched it on. The machine switched on, I selected a 50 degree cycle and closed the door. The water pumped into the machine and after about 20 seconds or so then went pop. I couldn't tell if the noise was inside the machine or the main RCD tripping. The power went off and ever since now will not work at all. No lights work on the control area as it did, went I close the door it just trips the main electric RCD unit. I checked the dishwasher plug fuse and socket - all work. I think I may have incorrectly wired the new heater unit when I replaced the old one. I have now correctly wired the heat unit, and the washing machine is dead. I am looking to find the cause and how I can fix this problem. Is there an internal fuse inside this make and model of dishwasher that may have blown. Could it be the interference suppressor, thermal fuse in the new heat element or the capacitor on the wash motor that has blown? All parts seem ok, I can't see any obvious burn marks or damage. Could it be the control board as nothing happens when i now switch on the machine, apart from the mains electric trips when I switch on machine? Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will try and assist you. It sounds like you have blown the thermal fuse when you connected the wires wrong.

This dishwasher repair guide explains how to replace the bi-metal thermal fuse in the control console of a dishwasher. Fixing the fuse usually corrects the problem of the control panel being completely dead and not lighting up even though the dishwasher is getting power. The thermal fuse can blow because of a failure in a major component such as the heating element or a pump, or a short circuit in the wire harness. You can replace it in less than 30 minutes, using a manufacturer-approved replacement part.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello and thank you for your feedback. I presumed by my hours of web searching that it could be a thermal fuse, but my Neff dishwasher has no obvious part in the machine as originally mentioned. Do you know or can find out for me please where these parts are? On many dishwashers you see this part attached externally to the control panel as shown in your link, on my machine you cannot see this part to replace. Where could it be?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

From what I have found this is supposed to be the thermal fuse for your unit. I havent seen one like that before. Is that what you currently see in your unit.