Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

Hotpoint washer/dryer wdl540 on wash only after 3 mins the

Customer Question

Hi. Hotpoint washer/dryer wdl540 on wash only after 3 mins the horizontal lights all flash and the spin/sun/key come on then 2 big clicks. Tried it twice but have to unload water myself after each attempt. Any help appreciated
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Aquarious 3/4 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am electrician so if i knew error codes i would attempt
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No blockages
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who tries to assist you today. I am going to shoot you some easy trouble shooting tips to see if this helps with your issue.

Many modern washing machines display error codes if they detect a fault, but they don’t all display a readable error code. The more basic ones indicate an error by flashing, or lighting some of the lights.

If your washing machine stops working and you can see some of the lights flashing, or one or more option lights have lit up, then make a note of which lights are flashing and which option lights are lit so you can report it when booking an engineer or researching the fault. However, most flashing light error codes are listed in the technical books as LED1, LED 2 etc and not by name

If the washing machine is flashing a single light, count the number of flashes. For example, the door locked indicator may flash 7 times, pause, and flash another 7 times in a constant cycle which would indicate error code 7. If it is just flashing continuously, with no pause, then it isn’t indicating an error code. It may still have a problem, but it isn’t giving any clues.

If there is no cycle of flashes as described above, but one or more option lights have lit up then this may be the machine’s way of showing an error code. Note: The error code lists engineers have access to only show option lights by number, and not by name. Therefore you need to report the lights as LED 1 and 3, or 2 and 4 etc. and not "delay timer" and "extra rinse". Count the lights from the left (or from the top if in a column) and report as "led 1 and 3" etc.

This information is vital, and needs mentioning when reporting a fault. I have an appliance error code section which gives further insight into why error codes aren't readily available to the public as well as explaining why many aren't much use to you anyway. Some of the more common and simple error codes are listed though – Washing machine error codes

If you find this answer helpful please do rate with 5 stars at the top and if you have follow up questions I would be more than happy to further assist you.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.