Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

The Hotpoint Mistral FF93 is showing strange temperature

Customer Question

The Hotpoint Mistral FF93 is showing strange temperature readings for the deep freeze section. It changes from -22 to +17 Centigrade in seconds. The contents of the freezer are becoming solid. The motor runs as normal but the control panel shows the high temperature warning. Have tried switching off and back on but no change and checked the cooling vents for dust. The control panel buttons allows the FF setting which then won't cancel. Could this be a temperature sensor failure in the freezer section by any chance? Where, how and can I repair this? Many thanks Nigel
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model is FF93YS and it must be 15 years old. Serial number is *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible or is it a call out job?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The unit works fine and could do with a new bottom freezer draw. Otherwise it's a great fridge.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• The erratic operation (and display) are indicative of a connection issue rather than a sensor failure. When a sensor fails, they are rarely intermittent. Can you access the electronic control and, with the appliance unplugged, remove each connector (one at a time) and then reposition back to the control, please? This will alleviate any possible connection issues. Let me know if the behavior changes after doing this, please.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Afternoon Kelly
As per your suggestion I have exposed the circuit board and removed each of the connectors and replaced them. There does not appear to be any signs of heat damage to the components and only a little dust on the board which I have cleaned. The display continues to show the "High Temperature" warning and a reading of +17 in the freezer. Where to from here please.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Is the temperature actually 17* or is it different from the display? I suspect the electronic control will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Afternoon Kelly
The display is showing plus 17 degrees along with the the flashing "High Temperature" warning message for the freezer section whereas the actual temperature is running at the usuall minus 22 degrees set by Hotpoint for the fridge at manufacture. The top fridge section is set at plus 8 degress and that is the actual temperature. The chill draw is near zero at the moment as some items have ice on them. I would guess that this may be because the fridge might be trying to reduce the freezer temperature down from plus 17 to minus 22 degrees. This has resulted in some items in the freezer now being covered in ice crytals which doesn't normally happen. Many thanks for this help. Nigel
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

So the freezer temperature sensor is out of range and will need to be replaced. The sensor is available below.