Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a Statesman XT5 1000w washing machine that has just

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Statesman XT5 1000w washing machine that has just stopped mid-cycle and is now flashing the start/pause button continuously. I've turned the machine off and on twice, but still get the same flashing light when I try to start a new wash...
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I'm in a rented flat, likely many many years old. Make and model are above
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on how tricky it is....
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that's all- thank you in advance!
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** is the appliance still full of water and can you confirmt that it heated the water during its wash cycle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Ian, Ihad thought the wash had started because when I first turned the machine off and opened the door the little detergent bag had burst ( also I'd pre-soaked some clothes so some were already wet). But when I took everything out I realised the wash hadn't actually started.
I re-started the machine several times but always just got the flashing light, until eventually it started working.
But during the wash the machine made some pretty strange rattling noises so it's definitely not working properly....
Do you know what the flashing light means on this particular machine?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

Flashing light just indicates a fault condition - will the appliance spin the water out?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when it eventually started working it completed a full wash cycle inc. spinning the water out. But made a rattling sound when draining the water out
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

OK first thing to do is to check that the drain pump filter is not blocked.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've just checked it now, but no it isn't blocked
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

If you put it on to spin with the filter out can you see the pump impeller spinning at the back of the filter housing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's back to not working again- I turned the dial to spin cycle and press that 'start/pause button', it turns red as if about to start, then after 20secs of nothing happening the light starts flashing
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

OK if you open the door and slam it does it start?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nope, still just the flashing light
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

OK cancel the program - leave it for a couple of minutes and then restart, once you hit start tell me if you hear a click at the door catch shortly after?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ah ok so this time the door eventually clicked and the spin cycle started. Looking inside the drain pump filter the pump impeller was spinning.Thinking about it. On the other occasions when the machine wouldn't start, I didn't hear the door clicking. So is this the problem?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

It sounds like the door interlock is failing - how old is the appliance?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm in a rented flat so not sure, but it's at least 6 years old. Is this a fixable fault?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

Yes but if you're in a rented property the landlord should be paying - however they are only about £15 new

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Absolutely, but if I can tell him exactly what the problem is there's a chance it'll get fixed within the next year! Ha.
So the door interlock is failing and needs replacing?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

It is either the door interlock or else the main pcb which is alot more expensive - can you give me the serial number of the product and I can see which one it is.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Basic type no. is CS1042CA1
SN is 00612047000361820120
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

OK come back to me in the morning and I may have a interlock that I can send you. Need to check our stores first.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will do, thank you!
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

Hi again, if you send your address to -***@******.*** - I can arrange for an interlock to be sent to you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've just sent it, thanks again for your help!
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

Item will be with you in a couple of days.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Brilliant, thank you!