Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a hotpoint ffu4dk fridge freezer, the compressor is

Customer Question

Hi I have a hotpoint ffu4dk fridge freezer, the compressor is running but the freezer is not working after a few hours of owning just a big fridge the super freeze/cool and temp lights flash and the unit beeps if I turn it off/on the fault seems to clear for a few hours then its back again
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Its a Hotpoint FFU4DK about 5 years old but unsure
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: super freeze and cool lights and temp lights flashing and the unit beeps
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: The freezer was iced up and I cleared it, the trouble started after that, I have checked and the compressor is running but the output pipe is not very cold, the compressor return is warm
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

How long has the compressor been running with no cooling now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Around 1 week
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Oh, it has a coolant leak then. That type of repair will require professional service to complete, it takes very specialized tools and training. That type of repair is expensive and very time consuming.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you sure its a coolant leak the fridge is still chilling but something is stopping the freezer working
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

If the compressor has been running for more than a few hours and the freezer is not freezing, there is a definite sealed system issue (provided you thawed the freezer per your initial post). It may be an inefficient compressor or a leak but will need to have valves soldered on to pressure test to determine exactly what is happening.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, thank you!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. Thank you so much!