Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Not, tried the other night and had to stop....basically the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Not long, tried the other night and had to stop....basically the lock light flashes constantly and you can start a cycle but after a bit of noise nothing happens
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: yes ive already tried that
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends how hard and expensive it is
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: OK...the lock light (red light) flashes really fast
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 4 months ago.

Hi

Can you post the make and model number please.

Regards

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
indesit 1200 WIDL126

Thanks for that.

When the door lock light flashes are you able to open the door or is it locked?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, so i just turned it on at the wall and on the machine, then closed the door...the lock light was, and continues to flash really fast and the door is now locked....it has sprung into action...with the normal noises the dishwasher makes at the start of a cycle (water moving round etc), but it doesnt look like anything is happening inside the actual drum.Weird that the cycle its on is number 8 - drying delicates and you can hear water swooshing through the powder compartment....but maybe that always happens?
5 mins later the cycle stops and the door unlocks...the drum never rotated.

Yes on a dryer cycle the first thing it does is fills with water. This is for the condenser unit so thats normal.

As to the fault i think you may find this is worn carbon brushes in the motor. As if they fail it can cause this fault were the door lock but the lock light flashes and the drum doesnt turn.

You need to pull the washer out and lean it backwards against a wall and have someone hold for you.

Then lie down and look under the washer.

There you will see the back of the motor. Either side there you will see the carbon brushes.

Remove these and see if thye have worn. If they are only a few mm long then they have worn and need to be replaced.

Then retry it and see how it goes from there. Fingers crossed this sorts it from there.

Check them and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dan,Just Got the motor out and took the carbon brushes off and they seem to have plenty of carbon left on them

Ok they are fine if both are the same.

So we can now rule that out. The next thing to check is the door lock and the wiring block. Remove the lock and from there check the wiring block. Disconnect the wiring plug and see if theres signs of burning or melting on the block.

If there is then the lock has to be replaced and you need to then retag the wires from there.

Check that and see what you find. If the door lock and wiring are both ok then the only thing you are left with is the control board itself at the back. In this case it will need to be replaced but you may find its not worth it as you need to get indesit in as the boards are sold blank so have to be programmed with the indesit laptop as for you to buy the equipment to do it this will be more then the cost of a new washer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Is there anything else you need to know. As i see you have asked for a phone request from an expert.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just wanted to chat through the lock change
Are you saying I need a soldering iron to retag at best, ***** ***** should prob just buy a new machine?
If so any ideas of where best i could source a cheap washer dryer?

The phone request must have been sent to another expert as it didnt pop up on my screen. I just saw the reply. Anyway im unable to do phone request at the moment, sorry.

But as to the retaging of the door lock then no you dont resolder it. You need to cut the wire from the burnt block 1 at a time so you know which wire goes where and just use an amp tag to reconnect the wire and then you can push it onto the door lock tags.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cool, do I need to buy some amp tags to do this?

Yes you will need 3 as there will be 3 wires on the block there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what sort of shop can I buy it from and do they come in different sizes?

You can get them from the likes of B&Q or maplins. You want the red 6.3 amp spade connector.

Or you can get them online from Amazon click here

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
cheers, ***** ***** at the lock...how on earth do you get to it/ get it off?

Theres usually 2 screws holding the lock on. But as you are asking how to remove it i take it there isnt screws there.

In this case there will be 2 tabs there.

Open the door and you will see the door lock hole there. You will see 2 round pips top and bottom.

Reach down the top and make sure its unplugged and hold the lock with 1 hand.

Then use a small screwdriver and push the small tabs in and pull the lock to the right and it will come off from there.