Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Appliance Technician
Experience:  UK and Australian appliance repair specialist.

The drum on my wash machine is off center, 2 years old -

Customer Question

The drum on my wash machine is off center
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 2 years old - Whirlpool Cabrio
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Model WTW5700XW3
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, I have read a few of your forums, but I do not know how to take the lid off to recenter ohh, no worries about that - I got the answer from your forum
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

How off is the tub?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It wobbles completely.

OK do you mean the inner tub is wobbling?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

OK the inner tub has either broken off the gear case support or the gear case bearing support is bad. This is a major repair either way and expensive for parts so you may not want to fix it as that machine is not a good design in the first place but that is up to you. The gear case is about 240 dollars and you may have damage to the inner tub sleeve and could also need a new one of those as well.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not the metal tub but the entire drum
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I open the lid I can move the entire plastic which encompasses the entire drum assembly
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is like one of those old spin top toys for kids

Yes that is normal on that unit they will appear to be very loose almost like there is something wrong, but there is not.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is not broken?

No that is totally normal they look like they are broken but that is totally normal the whole thing will move around super free almost like it is broken...common mistake.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Doesn't sound normal - even as it preps, it is banging on the sides.

Are any errors flashing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No errors. I know what you mean by loose, but this has 100 times more movement than it has ever had

You may have broken a shock suspension support rod