Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

A Bosch fridge freezer fan doesn't appear to be working.

Customer Question

Hi. A Bosch fridge freezer fan doesn't appear to be working. I've taken the fan out and checked it for continuity and it seems to be OK. If the fan is ok what is the next thing to investigate?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Probably about 8 to 10 years old. Model: KGN33V00GB/11
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The fridge temp seems to be OK, but freezer temp sits at around -7C rather than -18C
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

You need to test the fan while it is connected to see if it is getting voltage. Testing it for continuity is not an accurate test. If it is receiving voltage, the motor is faulty. Let me know what you find, please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I test it's getting voltage whilst still connected?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what voltage should it be showing?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I believe there are two wires, they should read about 230 VAC between them when the fan should be running. It is most likely that fan that is faulty.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Kelly. Sorry i have been away. I have now tested the fan and it seems to be reading 230V when running, and does seem to be OK, but problem of low temp in freezer still exists. What else is it likely to be do you think?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Is the frost pattern on the coil even across the whole coil or just in one small area?