Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

The electrics to my stoves duel fuel oven have stopped

Customer Question

hi the electrics to my stoves duel fuel oven have stopped working and its not the fuse...
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it's only 4 years old and its a Stoves Richmond 550 duel fuel
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I hope so!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the only other thing to note is that cooker plug is plugged into a standard power socket
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 months ago.

Is this a full electric cooker?

Has the clock and everthing gone off?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Daniel, its a duel fuel richmond 550 stoves cooker. the electrics are completely out and it's not the fuse in the plug

Ok if its a full electric cooker then first off this cannot be used on a plug top in a standered socket. It drawers too much current for plug and the socket can handle.

This has to be hard wired on a 32 amp cooker switch. This could be why its failed like this. Have you opened the plug top? If not then open the plug top and check the wiring in there as it could have burnt out.

If thats fine then you need to look at the back of the cooker and there you will see the mains connection box. Open this and check the wiring in there as again this could have burnt out. If it has then you need to replace the mains connection box from there.

But if the plug top and mains connection box is fine then its possibley the thermal cut out at the back of the oven,. To access this you need to remove the back panel of the oven and you will find it there. Its a small thermostat with 2 wires on it. You need to test this with a multi meter for contonuity and if faulty then it will need to be replaced.

But as to the plug you must get an electrician in to rewire the cooker in probberly as you cannot run this on a 13amp plug top as it can be dangerous as the oven will be drawing too much current and can in the worst case start a fire.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Daniel, its not a full electric cooker, the hob is gas.

Ok thats why i asked at first as theres 2 versions on this and ones a full electric oven and the other is a gas top and electric ovens.

As you have the gas top then this will be fine on a 13amp plug top then. So if the power supply is fine then the answer is still the same a part from changing the socket over as you dont need to on this.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 months ago.

I see the question is still open, Is there anything else you need to know? If so then just get back to me.

If not then could you please remember to rate the answer and that will close the question.

Many thanks