Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

1st time, How can I open a hotpoint washing machine when the

Customer Question

Hi pearl
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 1st time
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: How can I open a hotpoint washing machine when the door handle is broken
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's about 5 years old & it is a Ultima wt 640
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No the handle just snapped when I was about to open it after the cycle
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 7 months ago.

Hi

On your model if the handle has snapped then you need to pull the washer out and unplug it.

Remove the top panel.

From there look down the front on the inside on the right and there you will see the door lock.

Reach down in there and feel the left of the lock.

There you will feel the metal door pin.

You need to push the door pin to the left and at the same time pull the door handle and this will allow the door to open from there.

Then you can replace the door handle.

Or another way but this can cause more damage is get a big flat bladed screwdriver and wedge behind the door were the handle is and prise the door open.

This way though you will more then likey damage the door lock as well so that would need to be replaced.

The easyist way with less damage is from the top on the inside. So try that and see what you find. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Regards