Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

The bottom shelves in the fridge are freezing food in veg

Customer Question

The bottom shelves in the fridge are freezing food in veg box and meat box.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: 6 years old whirlpool american fridge freezer 6th sence I think
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I don't know as I do not know what is wrong with it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No Just that it is freezing all the veg's and meat on the bottom shelves
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 months ago.

Can you post the full model number please. I will be on a sticker inside the fridge section behind the salad box on the right hand side.

Also is it only the bottom half thats freezing and the top half is fine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
FRSS36AF25/3 yes just the bottom shelves, although I notice the freezer section is starting to get frosty

Ok bit of a strange one on these whirlpools for only the bottom half to freeze and not the top were as other side by sides do this a lot and its usually down to air flow from the freezer. As these Whirlpools dont do this often it can do still. Plus you say the freezer is starting to get frosty again this is pointing to air flow from the freezer.

What you can try if you want to fix this yourself is empty the freezer and remove the side basket rails and then you can remove the back panel in there.

Behind there you will see the evaportaor. If this is all blocked with ice use a hairdryer and melt all the ice from there and then see how it goes from there.

Or if you dont want to go removing panels then you need to turn the appliance off and leave the freezer door open for 24 hours and this will allow the ice to melt itself. Then see how it goes from there.

But if thats all ok and clear from ice then its possibley the fridge thermostat at fault at the top inside the fridge section. But if this is the case then you usually find the top half of the fridge freezes as well as the bottom.

So check the above first and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will do this - empty the freezer for 24 hours and let it defrost . I will have to wait and do it at the week end. I will let you know how it goes. Thank You

No worries thats fine. Hopefully that sorts it. But if not then its quite possibley the thermostat damper inside the fridge at fault thats causing this.

I see the question is still open on this. Do you still need help on this?

If so then just get back to me. If not then if you could rate the answer that would be great.