Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have hotpoint ff7190 exappliance and its been not working

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: we have hotpoint ff7190 exappliance and its been not working properly for the last months or so. First we noticed its not cooling food in the fridge. done some maintenance myself : removed allshelves from freezer, removed back panel and i could see ice build up trough small horizontal hall. defrosted that and still same problem . then i thought that thermostat might be faulty so i removed thermostat completely and all was working fine for about a week and then same problem struck : build up of ice at the bottom. bought new thermostat, replaced but fridge not cooling at all, freezer working fine but keeps building up ice ?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: its about 4 years old and the exct model is FF7190 EX
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if that is possible i would, i m confident do it some work
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i think i described fault correctly, ask me if you need to know anything else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 5 months ago.

Hi

The most common cause of this is the fan blocks up with ice which the stops the cold air being blown into the freezer section.

What you need to do is empty the freezer and remove the back panel in there.

Then you need to remove the fan in the panel.

Then you can clear the ice from around the fan and inside the plastic panel. Pore hot water in there and melt all the ice in there.

Then refit the fan and retry the appliance and see how it goes from there. Fingers crossed this cures the fault here as for the fault you have were the freezer works but the fridge doesn its always down to ice in the freezer blocking the air flow into the fridge section.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi, i ve done that, got all the panels of, defrosted for 2 days, all water dripped to the container that sits at the back fridge on top of the motor. after doing this fridge and the freezer working fine for approx 2 weeks and then same story all over again.i though thermostat mayby faulty so replaced with the new one, but no difference.any other ideas ?

Ok if it works for a few weeks and then does the same then its a defrost issue. Im afraid the thermostat doesnt cause this fault that you have.

What you need to do is remove the panels again and in the freezer at the back you will see the evaporator. Wrapped around this is the defrost heater.

You need to test this with a multmeter. Follow the wires to the top in the freezer and the defrost heater is the 2 white wires. If faulty then you need to replace the defrost heater.

Then you need to check the thermal cut out which is the yellow wires and the blue. Tes between the 2 yellow wires and the 2 blue and see if faulty.

Check them and see what you find from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do i need to remove panels from the inside freezer where the fan is ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
also at the back bottom where the motor is , 2 small coper pipes coming out of it, one is very hot other is freezing cold . is that normal ?

Yes you need to remove the panels inside the freezer to access the evaporator and heater.

As to the pipe work at the back thats normal so dont worry about that.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
got everything out, and it doesnt look like you can replace defrost heater. are the 2 white defrost heater wires wires coming off the defrost ends ?

You can as the defrost heater is only clipped on the evaporator. Ive replaced loads of them before so they do come off. Its a case of pulling it off.

But make sure its fault before removing it as one you pull it off you cannot refit it unless you remove it very carefully as it will mishape.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if i conect 2 white wires with multimeter is shows no resistance whatsoever, is it that means its gone bad ?

Yes, If theres no reading on the meter then its faulty.

But the defrost heater is around 500 Ohms so just check the setting on your meter and check it set to a higher Ohms scale of at least 1k Ohms.

But if the setting is correct then the heater is the fault and will need to be replaced. The part number for it is C00271078

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
checked all the wires, blues and yellows and none of them showing any continuity. does the thermostat should show any resistence ? if yes whats the correct settings on multimeter i should put ?

Yes the thermostat should show contonuity on both the yellow and the blue. To make sure you have the correct setting then if you touch the meter probes together you should get a reading on the meter. If you do then that will be enough to test the thermostat.

As to the defrost heater you need to use arounf 1K (1000 ohms) scale on the meter.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thats why i m a bit worried , as if i touch boths multimeter ends the dial doesnt move at all, but i tried to check batteries , mains and all showing up on the dial so it must be multimeter working , just in case i will use other multimeter from a friend.

Ok sounds like you meter isnt working. Do you know how to set it to Ohms setting?

If not then post a picture of the meter and the setting you have it on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
posting picture,but I m sure I know how to use it .

Yeap thats the correct setting so if you place the 2 meter probes together and you dont get a reading then the meter is faulty.

So if you can get hold of another meter then try that and see what readings you get then.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
but if I try check something else the meter seems to be working, posting another picture checking from the mains
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
as you said I will borrow another meter tomorrow and will se what happens then.

The voltage part of you meter may work hence your volatge reading.

But if you place the leads together on Ohms setting and you get nothing then its faulty as the meter needle should shoot right over.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, have to wait till tommorow now
No worries that's fine.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello again ☺
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Been away for a while, defrosted fridge and it worked fine but now same problem, took the back panel of, all was covered in frost, defrosted that and got different multimeter so just want to make checks again before ordering spare parts. Can you just guide me to check that
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
First I checked continuity and the buzzer sounds when I touch 2 yellows wires and same sound when I touch 2 blue wires but no sound whatsoever when I touch 2 white wires. I m just not sure what settings I should use to check resistance of defrost heater. I will upload picture of my new and please just tell me if I m using correct settings
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is the picture
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just checked resistance with 2K settings and got some digits jumping while touching 2 yellows and 2 blue wires but nothing at all while touching 2 whites, so in my opinion defrost heater gone bad ( if I m using correct settings )
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also where is the best place to buy spare part ?