Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

I have a zanussi zwf 1020w that has stopped filling with

Customer Question

I have a zanussi zwf 1020w that has stopped filling with water as part of a cycle.
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: I have run the diagnostics and every stage works including filling with water.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Probably
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope. Been fine up until today when the wash finished but did not smell clean or feel that wet. Soap drawer is emptying but drum not filling.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 4 months ago.

What actually happens when you start it going on a wash?

Also did you manage to get the error code out of it?

Do the diagnostics again but this time when you get to step 9 it will flash the error code. Count the number of red flashes and the number of green flashes and let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When the wash starts the soap drawers are washer out with a small amount of water which ends up in the drum but no further water is added and the clothes look wet but there is no excess water whatsoever. The wash finishes, but the clothes do not appear clean.There is no display on the model I have. How do I perform diagnostics to get to the stage where I can see an error code or red/green light sequence?Thanks

Sorry i thought you knew how to do it as you did say you have ran the diagnostics already.

To enter diagnostics turn the dial to off.

Press and hold the start button and the button to the left of it.

Keep them held in and turn the dial 1 click clockwise.

Keep the buttons held in till the lights flash then let go.

Now turn the dial 9 clicks clockwise.

Now the end light and the start light will be flashing. You need to count the number of flashes from each of them inbetween the pause and let me know.

Then just turn the dial off then on then back off again

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks.There is one flash from the start/pause light and four flashes from the end light.Is that helpful?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 months ago.

Ok if you have that set of flashing lights then this is a door lock fault. From the fault you describe then it wont be the lock as if it was then the washer wont start at all.

The E41 is a common error code as it just means you have tried to start the washer with the door open.

If you select just a spin only cycle will the pump run and will the drum turn and spin on this setting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just tried a spin and the pump works and machine spins correctly.As I said in a previous post I also tried every stage of the process manually and everything worked correctly.

Ok in this case im afraid the control board is the fault here.

I just wanted to check the door wash locking thats why i asked about the spin to rule the E41 error code out that you reported.

As with you saying in diagnostic everything works then it can only be the control board not telling the parts to work in normal mode. As the motor, water valves, pump and heater either works or it doesnt so for them to work in diagnotic more then they are fine.

So this just leaves the control board at fault here which would need to be replaced if you wanted it fixing. But this isnt a cheap part, Sorry.