Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

Hotpoint aquarius WMA40 will not spin, 7 years, Possibly,

Customer Question

Hotpoint aquarius WMA40 will not spin
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 7 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Possibly
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 4 months ago.

If the washer isnt spinning then the first thing to check if you havent already is the belt. Remove the inspection cover on the back towards the bottom and check the belt is stil on the motor shaft and going round the drum pulley.

If thats fine then you need to check the carbon brushes in the back of the motor.

What i do is lean the washer backwards against and have someone hold it for you.

Lie down and look under the washer.

There you will see the back of the motor and the carbon brushes in the plastic holders either side.

Remove them and see if they have worn down. If they are only a few mm long then they have worn and need to be replaced.

Retry the washer with the new brushes and fingers crossed thats sorted it from there.

Check them first and see what you find as they are the most common causes of stopping the drum from turning.

If they are fine let me know and i can advise further for you.