George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  Senior Service & Technical Manager at Allsorts Recycling & Appliance Repairs

I have a Smeg integrated dishwasher which is not working.

Customer Question

I have a Smeg integrated dishwasher which is not working. The error message showing is lights 4 and 5 are flashing, but this doesn't seem to be a recognised error code. Can you help?
JA: What's the make and model of your dishwasher? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a Smef DWI710E1. Unfortunately I don't know how old it is as I've only lived here two years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Smeg*
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It depends on what the problem is, if it's an easy fix I could do it. The dishwasher didn't work when I moved in, but when I tried using it it was starting the cycles and then stopped after a few minutes, and I noticed it was leaking very slightly from the front corner. I changed the seal which fixed it, and the machine worked for a few weeks. Now the machine doesn't even start the cycle
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 4 months ago.

Are you sure that it is not that '4' is FLASHING and '5' is static ON?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Absolutely sure, they are both flashing.

Does it immediately that you start a program?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The dishwasher beeps when I close the door and then nothing happens.

'4' & '5' together indicate an E8 but the '5' LED is never supposed to flash in any fault situation

An error is usually indicated by a FLASHING combination of '1', '2', '3', '4', and a STATIC (non-flashing) '5'.

Have you tried unplugging the appliance for 10 mins to reset the boards electronics?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry for the delay, I was on holiday. I unplugged the dishwasher for 24 hours and turned it back on. When I closed the door the dishwasher beeped and then sounded like it started the cycle, then it stopped after about 30 seconds. The 4 & 5 lights are definitely both flashing.

If 4 & 5 are both flashing then there is a problem with the PCB