Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

We I am a pensioner I have a LEC T6066W 10.4cu ft

Customer Question

Hi Pearl we I am a pensioner I have a LEC T6066W 10.4cu ft fridge/freezer which we had delivered in Feb 2012 It has worked fine up to now and since the weekend the compressor seems to have been running almost continuously and now it doesn't seem to be reducing the temperature I don't know what is wrong and whether it is calling an engineer as I don't know whether it is repairable economically or whether I will have to replace the whole item which I know I can't afford at the moment The problem is that if I call out an engineer from LEC they will charge me even if it is not repairable I can't understand how it will have lost its gas charge if its not leaking or is it that the compressor whilst running is not compressing the gas Presumably the compressor is a sealed unit Do they repair compressor units if so are there re-commissioned exchange units available and is it cost effective to repair the fridge/freezer thanks Peter
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it? I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: I have detailed the make the model and the age in my original reply to you
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No I didn't think you are allowed to because of the CFC refrigerant gas that the fridge freezer is charged with besides I am 70 years of age and I don't have the tools
JA: I'm 40 .
Customer: You are a very young-looking 40 and you have a lovely smile I am not sure where you operate from but if its anywhere in the south of England I would be pleased to buy you lunch If you have your tools and the necessary spares you could help by fixing this badly behaved fridge freezer
JA: Thank you.
Customer: what's your thoughts regarding the problem I have with the fridge freezer What would you advise I realise I asked many questions with my original message
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of other than the fact that suddenly it has become warmer as though the summer has at long last arrived As I said it was working fine up until the weekend in fact a couple of weeks ago the cooling plate at the back inside of the fridge iced up which indicated the thermostat was set too high
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think this model is fitted with a fan At present there is not any frost that I know of but I haven't opened the freezer door to preserve any frozen food there is not any frost on the cooling plate at the back of the fridge and although the compressor is running almost continuously it doesn't appear to be cooling the fridge
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I am going to have another look at that model. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I apologize, that model is indeed not showing an evaporator fan. If the compressor is running all the time and the cooling is poor, you likely have a coolant leak that will need to be professionally repaired. Unfortunately, that repair will be expensive but certainly less than replacing it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How would it develop a gas leak without any mechanical intervention To my knowledge nobody has attempted to remove an ice build up which is generally how leaks occur Can it develop a leak on its own by any mechanism ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Typically, leaks develop at the unions where the copper tubing meets the aluminum where epoxy is used to seal the connection. It is not uncommon for the steel to copper solder joints at the compressor to develop leaks, either. It may be that the compressor is getting inefficient, too. However, the only way to know would be to solder on access valves and measure the pressures.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is it possible that that it hasn't lost its charge but that for some reason the compressor has lost its ability to compress the gas because of a worn part within the compressor I have no idea of the cost of callout but normally there is a minimum charge and I don't know how much to replace the compressor unit and recharge the appliance with refrigerant gas Are there serviced exchange compressor units available and what cost is normally involved
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

If the compressor has become inefficient as I mentioned above, the expense will be great, close to the cost of a new unit. If it is just a leak, depending on the leak area, it may not be too expensive. However, if the leak is at the evaporator joints, the entire evaporator would need to be replaced. Used parts are not used in sealed system repairs, so if any parts are required, it will not be an inexpensive repair. The only way to tell what is happening, though, is to get valves on it and see what the sealed system pressures are.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is this expensive and also this will only diagnose the problem it will not fix the problem Is it worth trying to repair a unit of this age or is it a case of scrapping it to limit the cost which will have to be incurred to replace it To replace it with modern technology ie one which is fan-cooled with a compressor with a digital invertor will cost about £400-450 but at least the compressor will be covered with a 10 year warrenty What would you advise
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Yes, as stated above, anything other than a simple leak will be quite expensive, near the cost of a new unit. So, I would probably replace the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As the unit is in good condition how much would you warrant spending to check it out because if its possible to get it back working it would be useful to have as a secondary fridge freezer located elsewhere in the house it would be a shame to trash it if its possible to get some more life out of it whilst at the same taking it on the chin to purchase a modern fridge freezer for the kitchen I was thinking of an LG GBB59PZRZS or an LG GBB539PZHWB what do you think ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Both of the LG models are of good quality and with excellent reviews, so it would come down to your personal preferences. As for fixing the old one, it will cost the service call, some labor to solder valves on and the cost of supplies to get access (the valve(s), solder, etc) to determine what has happened. It will likely cost around £100-110 to get a diagnosis.