Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My smeg fridge freezer isn't working. The bulb blew, so I

Customer Question

Hi my smeg fridge freezer isn't working. The bulb blew, so I changed that and the fuse but still no light and it's starting to defrost. Can you advise please?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Don't know what else you need to know
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: Not really
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 6 months ago.

Hi

Can you post the model numbr of the appliance please.

Its normally on a sticker inside the fridge section behind the salad box.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's fab32p4

Thanks for that.

Can you hear the compressor at the back running?

ave you tried plugging the fridge into another plug socket?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it's making no noise and yes I've tried another socket and no joy and plugged something into the fridge socket and that works. So I know it isn't that .

Ok this model uses a basic thermostat in there rather then an electronic control board.

What you need to do if checking this yourself is remove the thermostat/light housing unit inside the fridge.

From there you will see the wires going to the thermostat and then to the light.

Check the wiring on both the thermostat and lamp holder.

If he wiring is fine then you need to test the thermostat. There may be either 2 or 3 tags on there. If its a 2 tag thermostat then its tags 3 and 4.

But if you have the tag version it will be tags 3,4 and 6 on the thermostat.

You need a voltage tester and check you have power to tags 3 and 6 on the thermostat.

If there is then check its switching on to tag 4 as this is the compressor tag. Check the thermostat and see if its faulty or bad connections.

If the connections and thermostat is fine the you need to check the relay box on the left hand side of the compressor at the back.

Remove the black plastic cover and check the wiring in there. As the mains wiring goes to the relay on the side of the compressor and then up to the thermostat.

So if there nothing comming on and the fuse and power supply is good then its something to do with the thermostat or the relay on the side of the compressor.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Struggling to remove housing. Have taken one screw out but still not budging.

Have you removed the cover as sometimes theres a screw there as well.

Also look towards the front and see if theres a round plastic small cap you can pop out and if so there will be a screw in there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No nothing there and no small cap

Can you post a picture of the thermostat housing box please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Attached

Ok just pull the control knob off incase theres a hidden screw there.

If there isnt then the plastic housing unit will be clipped in there so you will need to prise it off from there.

Look around it and towards the front and see if theres any tabs you can release to few it off.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2 hidden screws under control knob. Got it off now

Nice one, Check the thermostat and see how it goes.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We'll have to get hold of a voltage meter but can you point us towards which one we should be testing by reference to attached photo. Not sure what you mean by tags 3,4 6 etc

Looking at this thermostat its only a 2 wire thermostat.

The brown one on the thermostat is the live in and the black wire is the live feed to the compressor.

So you need to check with your volt meter you have 240v on the live (brown) wire and the blue wire to the lamp holder is the neutral feed in. So check them and see what you find.

If thats fine then you need to check the relay on the side of the compressor and see what you find there as well.

Hi

I see the question is still open, Do you still need help on this?

If so just get back to me but if not then if you could rate the answer that would be great.

Many thanks