Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a Lamona HJA 8704 washing machine that is not

Customer Question

Hello I have a Lamona HJA 8704 washing machine that is not draining water. When it reaches the draining part of a cycle the program stops, the fault lights flash 3 times.
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: Unplugging no, because it is integrated, however I have switched it off at the fused socket that powers it
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it turns out to be as simple as clearing a filter then yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am just trying to work out if it is a filter that needs cleared, and if so how I do that as there doesnt seem to be an entry point on the front of the machine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

If you look in the door frame area you will see a product number or code - would you kindly let me have it as these Lamonas are made by a number of manufacturers. Thanks - Ian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Attached picture of door frame label. Hope this helps.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

Excellent just the job give me a couple of mins to find it.

Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK its made by Hoover/Candy for Howdens under th Lamona brand. This next bit will mean that you have to take the plinth off to get where I need you to be, are you happy to do this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can try!
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK usually the kitchen fitters fit a plinth across the lower front of you units, most of them continue this plinth across the front of the washing machine too. You have to remove the whole thing (unless you are lucky and they had a brain and cut a section out for you) once you have it removed it will let you see the drain filter. Once there come back to me.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is no drain filter on the front as far as I can see. It is a flat white panel
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

Can you take a photo and attach it to your message using the paperclip just as you would and email using the normal text box that you are using - according to the diagrams there have been four different pumps fitted but all of the have a filter housing. Just as an afterthought you have removed the washing machine plastic plinth too?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, please see attached. There doesnt seem to be a washing machine plastic plinth. The body is made of metal, and the bottom section doesnt seem like it is meant to come off... I'm wary of trying too hard.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

It looks to me like there are screws holding the front plinth one, am I mistaken?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They are just holes... there may have been screws at one point but I can't get it open if it is supposed to come off. The bottom edge goes under the machine at least an inch and seems to incorporate the feet at the front. It really doesnt seem like it is meant to move
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK well at this stage you have to decide if you want to take out he appliance meaning removing the pipes (drain and water supply) and also disconnect the electrics, Just out of interest is the drain hose going into a spigot under the sink or does it go into it's own down pipe?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It seems to connect to the drainage for the sink above
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

Ok when you put it on spin or pump out do you hear a motor running before the spin starts?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh I've no idea about that. Would it sound out of place or should I hear it always? I didnt hear anything out of the ordinary in the test washes I tried
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I dont think I will be able to get the washing machine out by myself. I'd tried this before and failed miserably which is why in desperation I came to you haha. If you dont see any other way then I'll just have to get somebody to come fix it for me.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK get a bucket and undo the connection under the sink, once this has drained into the bucket, put the appliance pipe in the bucket and start it on spin - tell me if you get any water out of the pipe.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll do this tomorrow - I already tried to do this but I was unable to disconnect the pipe as I dont have a flathead screwdriver. Thanks
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK come back to me tomorrow when you have this done - just out of interest is this a new installation or have you been using it since connected?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Its been there a while based on the cobwebs that accumulated behind the plinth but i only moved into this property last week so im not sure of the specifics. Will report back tomorrow
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I've done a couple of things (but not quite what you asked...). I drained the pipe into a bucket, then out of curiosity I moved the machine out of the hole (was feeling braver today) and took these photos. Does this look like anything in the diagrams you've seen? Could there be a filter to clear behind there? With regards ***** ***** on a spin cycle - there is no water in the machine drum as I drained it by hand - is this still relevant?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK - if you uncouple it from the water, the drain and the electric and being braver pull it forward and gently put it on its back. You will then see where the corrigated gray pipe comes in at the back and then goes to the pump. At the otherside of the pump you will find another pipe that goes through to the bottom of the wash tub. Come back to me when you have found them.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not quite following you. The corrigated pipe goes into the machine - should i unscrew the back panel or something to access it?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK the corrigated hose is connected onto the drain pump inside the washing machine see hole in back, its then goes from the drain pump out through that hole and up to the sink drain. The other pipe goes from the bottom of the washing machine tub into the pump. I need you to check if there is a blockage stopping the pump from discharging the water or if you have a faulty pump. This is why I have asked you to put it on its back. Its easier to work when you have things in easy reach.