Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My Zanussi ZWF14070W washing machine has stopped working

Customer Question

Hi My Zanussi ZWF14070W washing machine has stopped working completely. The last wash (straightforward 60 degrees, no complications) was perfect but when I went to do today's wash no lights came on and it wouldn't respond to anything I did. I think I had failed to turn the main dial to 'off' last time; could that be related? I've checked the fuse of course, and yes I did shut the door... I also tried unplugging it and leaving it for several minutes, then again for three hours. It seems very dead. I'd be ok with changing components if necessary, but preferably not at random! Wondered if there is an internal in-line fuse somewhere, but why would that have blown anyway? I like the machine and want to rescue it. Thanks
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 6 months ago.

Hi

Im afraid there isnt an internal fuse in these washers.

If the power supply is good going to the washer then its more then likely the main control board at fault.

Remove the top of the washer and there you will see the power cable going to the mains filter. Check the wiring there and then follow it to the back of the control board.

You will see the mains wiring going to the blue switching unit on the back of the board. If you have a test meter check theres 230v there. If there is then the control board is the fault and will need to be replaced.

To be honest with you ive seen this fault a lot on these. Were its working fine 1 minuite and not the next. Now i have had it where if you leave several hours it may come on. If it does then it will work fine untill its turned off and wont come back on again. Now it doesnt always do this its just the odd ones ive seen do it.

But if the power supply is fine then its going to be the control board as i said ive replaced loads of them over the years for this fault that you have here.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hmmm, yes of course, that's what I'd have done anyway but I didn't want to start on it at all before contacting you, in case you could shed some immediate light on it that wouldn't have occurred to me. Surely there's no need to replace the whole control board? It would be too expensive. Which components usually fail? The switching unit? Capacitors (I can see three)? Something else? Given that as I've already said, not one of the LEDs comes on at all, there must be a main suspect, surely? Which INDIVIDUAL COMPONENT would cause this precise symptom? And which is the simplest way to get the control board off with the minimum of dismantling?

Its usually the switching unit that fails on these.

But this is somthing we as appliance engineers dont do. We dont replace faulty conponments on the board as we just replace the complete control board.

But if you are looking at fixing the board yourself then its the switching unit i would check first. But just becarefull if removing it as there may be switches and springs in there that could pop out. Im not fully sure if there is as we dont remove the switching unit but there could be.

Its not normally capacitors that causes complete power failure. But you can inspect them by checking each one and see if the top of them have buldged up. Its going to be something to do with the switching unit

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
which is the simplest way to get the control board off with the minimum of dismantling?

You need to remove the front control panel.

So remove the top,

Remove the soap drawer and remove the screws you will see on the dispenser box.

Then remove the screws holding the metal frame on the top at the front.

Once this is off you can then release the front plastic panel from the metal frame and remove the board from there.

Ive just uploaded the service manual for this washer for you so click the link below and you can down load it from there. As it shows you how to dismentle the washer and remove parts from there.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 5 months ago.

Hi

I see the question is still open, Do you still need help on this?

If so just get back to me but if not then if you could rate the answer that would be great.

Many thanks