Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My can use refrigerator turned off and is saying too warm.

Customer Question

My can use refrigerator turned off and is saying too warm. Help! How do I turn it back on?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The fridge was not cold enough on 4 so I switched it to 5. Then it was warmer so I was switching it to 3. When I rotated the knob it went below 1 and all of the cooling noise just stopped. It won't go back on no matter what number I turn the dial to.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: That's all I can think of. I just need to find an on button of some sort
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 6 months ago.

Hi

Can you post the make and model number please.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It says zanussi built in. Model Zl 718/8 K

Thanks for that.

Can you hear the compressor/motor running?

Do you hear any noises at all from it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. The noise completely disappeared when I turned the coldness dial from 5 to 0. And then it has never come back, even after I turned the dial back to 5

Ok this is either the thermostat itself or the compressor.

Now if you are looking at fixing this yourself you need to remove the light housing/ thermostat inside the fridge.

Make sure its unplugged and then on the thermostat locate wires 3 and 4 and with a multimeter you need to test between them with the thermostat turned on.

If you do have contonuity then the compressor is the fault. But if there isnt then the thermostat is the issue here and would need to be replaced.

But if its the compressor then this isnt even worth fixing as its going to cost around the £250-300 mark which given the age it isnt even worth messing with.

Regards

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 5 months ago.

Hi

I see the question is still open, Do you still need help on this?

If so just get back to me but if not then if you could rate the answer that would be great.

Many thanks