Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I've 8 yr old Leisure HJA6000 American Fridge Freezer.. last

Customer Question

Hi, I've 8 yr old Leisure HJA6000 American Fridge Freezer.. last couple of days, freezing lower third of fridge side.. and now defrosting top ice tray shelf of freezer
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Resetting temperatures doesn't change anything. Lower part of fridge side at -10 degrees, ice tray/ top shelf of freezer has defrosted.. the settings on the door control say -18 for the freezer and 4 for the fridge
JA: Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I dont think so, thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

It sounds like there is an air flow issue. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No frost inside the freezer Kelly.. and i hear fans.. they switch off at times.. sound a bit rattling.. I've decided to try a defrost today with it switched off and food removed, however, no water has come out, therefore no trapped ice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
waiting for response to above, thank you
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the refrigerator has lost its coolant and is going to need to be recharged. Are you able to remove the rear cover in the freezer section to get a look at that coil? Is there any frost on it at all?