Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Appliance Technician
Experience:  UK and Australian appliance repair specialist.

Our dryer has a problem with the drum in that it sometimes

Customer Question

Our dryer has a problem with the drum in that it sometimes does not turn when the start button is pushed. it sounds as though the motor is straining to turn the belt. when we first started to experience this, I thought it had to do with the weight of the load, but it seems to happen regardless of weight. sometimes if you reach inside and manually turn the drum counter clockwise then start, it will work. this used to only happen sometimes but is now happening every time we try ti use it. If I have to guess I would say the belt may be worn and or stretched, or perhaps the motor is becoming too old and weak. the machine is now 5 years old. can you please give me your advice? thanks. Tom
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Does the motor actually stall and not turn?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi thanks for your reply. yes the motor runs but then stalls and does not turn.

Sounds like a bad motor for sure not a belt if the drum turns freely by hand.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, thanks. would it be worth replacing the motor or just by a new dryer in you opinion?

It depends on the shape of the machine, I repair a lot of them with bad motors if the unit is in overall good shape.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, many thanks.

No problem!