Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have the iwme126, it will not take on water. checked the

Customer Question

hi Pearl, I have the iwme126, it will not take on water. checked the water pressure switch and the diaphragm is working and there is continuity when checking with a multimeter. the 2 solenoids have continuity also but swapped them around for good measure but still the same so swapped them back again. filter is clean. all that happens is on startup it takes water in for a couple of seconds and then stops. no flashing lights
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: cant think of anything else. I have used Daniel T previously and he was excellent, would you know if he is available
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 6 months ago.

Hi

What happens if you set it going on a rinse cycle or a spin only cycle?

Also if you leave it on a wash cycle when it sits theres doing nothing after several minutes the lights should start flashing the error code. Have you left it this long?

Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hi mate, sorry there was a problem and had to phone to get it sorted as I could not reply. I have tried the rinse and spin cycles and nothing happens

No worries thats fine.

So as to the spin cycle what actually happens when you set it going?

Do you hear the pump run?

If so does it stop after a few seconds and if you wait a bit does it kick in again?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
absolutely nothing, no noise whatsoever
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hear the pump, comes on and off, repeatedly, trying to drain water
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
does exactly as you asked

Ok i know what this will be.

It will be worn carbon brushes in the motor.

What you need to do is pull the washer out and lean it backwards aginst a wall and have someone hold it for you.

Then lie down and look under the washer.

There you will see the back of the motor.

There either side are the carbon brushes in the plastic holders.

Remove them and see if they have worn down.

If they are only a few mm long then they have worn and will need to be replaced.

Once replaced retry the washer and this should be back to normal from there.

Check them and see what you find. As im sure you will find they are the fault here.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ive got them off, how long should they be originally when new

When they are new they start off about 4cm roughly and they wear down to about 5mm till the black carbon is just about poking out from the holder.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they are slanted and go from 2mm to 5mm

Yep they have worn right down and that is whats causing the problem here.

Replace them with a new set and this will get the washer back up and running again.

This is one of the most common faults we see on these as you cannot stop them from wearing down.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I assume they should be easy enough to source from a local supplier

Yes these brushes will be easy to get from a local supplier as they will stock them as to be honest the brushes will fit other types of motors so they are a very common part.

Just take the old ones with you as theres a few different types they use depending on the motor but as i said you wont have no trouble at all getting them as local spares shops will have them in stock.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
will I need to know the make and model of the motor

No just take the old ones with you and they will know stright away.

Or if you send me a picture of them on here i can find you a set from an online spares site if you want.

But if you have a local spares shop just take them in there tomorrow and you will have it back up and running again tomorrow.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hopefully be ok, i'll take them with me and hopefully get a new set. i'll let you know how I get on tomorrow with an update and I hope this solves it. damn thing only seems to give me grief at the weekends

No worries. Im sure you will get it sorted.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
got no choice mate as I told you previously, got a child with disability and need the machine constantly. thanks again and get back to you tomorrow

No probs speak tomorrow.

Hi

Just wondering how you got on with the washer as the question is still open?

Did you manage to get a new set of brushes and if so did they work?

Regards