Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

My Prestige larder fridge is 7 years old and is not cooling

Customer Question

My Prestige larder fridge is 7 years old and is not cooling temp display reads 14
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Fridge sited in a garage which also houses the oil central heating boiler.
JA: Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Power is on and fridge appears to be running
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
Can you give me the model number please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
PRT 330LS
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
Thank You for that, would you now kindly go around the back of the fridge and tell me if the motor is running and secondly if you put your hand on it, is it hot to the touch or just warm?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Motor appears to be running but is only warm
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
OK if you put your hand on the back inside of the fridge is it cold and can you confirm that the fan is actually running inside the unit?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The inside of the fridge is warm and the fan does not appear to be running
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
OK I need you go go back around to the motor (compressor) side again, if you look at the back you will see a black heat exchanger. at one side it is connected to the compressor by a small pipe. Can you follow where it goes to the top and tell me if you can feel any warmth in the pipes at the top?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
slight warmth in pipe
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
OK I think your problem is that you are either short of refrigerant in the system or the compressor is failing to pump the refrigerant around the system. In both cases you will need a refrigeration engineer to come and have a look at it - its not a DIY project as you need specialised refrigeration gauges to check out the pressures within the system.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok can you recommend anyone in my area SN146AP
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
Just waiting for a telephone call back from an engineer will drop you a note when he responds.