Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

< I have an AEG santo 75438-2KG. a couple of weeks ago

Customer Question

Hi< I have an AEG santo 75438-2KG. a couple of weeks ago freezer temperature started dropping to -11C and activating the alarm. Upon reset would go back to the preset of -18c but eventually went down to +1C. Upon a technician's advice we changed the defrost switches. When we re powered the machine, the freezer stays at room temperature and the refrigerator does not go more than +11C. There was ice at the right side of the refrigerator from the bottom to what it seems top evaporator coils. It seems the refrigerator has its own evaporator. We defrosted again for 24h, but right after a couple of hours of re powering, the ice formed again in the wall of the refrigerator. Should we defrost for longer? Is there permanent damage in the fridge? thanking you,
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
Can you give me the pnc number on the rating label so I can look at your model please.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dear Bonzaco,
here you are 985 585 529 02
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
Can you check the product code again - could it be 925 585 529 ??
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is the fridge label
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
Thank you that the one - your appliance is fitted with a two way diverter valve at the rear on start up the coolings priority is to cool the refrigerator first, once the refrigerator is at the correct temperature then the freezer then is cooled. Firstly I need you to unplug the appliance from the electric supply leave it for about 10 seconds and then reconnect. Shortly after you should hear 6 clicks from the valve at the back - would you kindly advise if this happens.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Bozaco, i followed your instructions, (actually twice) both times, despite the freezer alarm noise, the clicks where 4 (not 6). By the way with almost 24hrs after the 24h defrost the refrigerator compartment temperature is at +11C and the freezer almost at room temperature (+21C).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, Small update- the refrigerator quickly reaches +8c when we set it at +8c. However when we set it lower like 7c,6c,4c it creeps up to +11c... weird. The freezes is not cooling. Do we have a faulty sensor or electronics here? Thanking you,
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
Can you put your hand on the compressor (motor) at the back and tell me if it is hot or just warm to the touch?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the compressor is hot. Another thing, i do not know if it is relevant, is that, although the freezer is at +20C, when the door is open the fan can be heard working. The refrigerator is now set and stable at +7C
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please kindly let me know if you think is should proceed with replacing the central control board and then wait and see-may be the options thereafter would be too expensive to keep and repair.. how would i be able to and order the correct part number? any DIY instrurctions? Is this a plug and play repair?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
dear bonzaco,
should we forward the problem to another technician, I do really need to make a decision about this non working refrigerator. please let me know if you are working on a reply