Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a Prestige dishwasher, model PFD12SS-u.. I'm getting

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Prestige dishwasher, model PFD12SS-u.. I'm getting an E1 error code after it's initial pre-cyme drain. I've lost the manual so have no idea what a E1 error code signifies. can you help?
Category: UK Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also..a guide as to what to do to fix it would help!
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.
OK Mike - I can find no data regarding this appliance at all other than sales stuff so if you are up for it I will take you through a series of test designed to find out the problem - Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Ian, and thanks for the offer
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.
Give me a couple of mins - I've just found who does the service for them and one of my friends works for them, just need to make a phone call. What is it actually doing or not doing??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so until recently, is was working fine except it would;t heat the water...ran stone cold...so on the weekend I fitted a new in-line heater (exact replacement) in the hope that it would fix the cold water problem. I plumbed it all back in, connected power nd started an empty cycle. The drain pump immediately started to work and it pumped out the little bit of water I'd poured inside to test it, but then, when its started letting in new water it stared beeping and showed the E1 error...then after a while the motor runs again and then it all juts stops with the beeping and error only.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
might be easier to do this over phone?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.
OK I need you to do this for me - start it up, you should then get the drain pump coming on for afew mins and then starts to fill, after a few second of fill do you hear a dull buzz from underneath??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the train pump comes on fine (and does drain), then I hear the mains water coming on but bathing emits from the jets in the machine..then it stops
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.
OK first thing you have to do is take the base off - not a fun job as you found out the last time, then check that the main circulating pump hasn't got a piece of crockery or glass in it if not check that is hasnt leaked and that you can move the shapt easily. Come back to me when you have this done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
go the base off: not sure how I check to see if the main circa pump is jammed or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
trying to find the 'shaft' to move it..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahh.. I see you can turn the shaft of the motor via felt head crew driver...Yes it moves very freely and noiselessly
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.
OK the next bit is a little tricky, you need to get the dishwasher into a position where you can move the shaft with the screwdriver when it is all connected and switched on, without damaging the float switch or electrocuting yourself. usually you can get the screwdriver through a hole at the back where it can touch the shaft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I'm guessing you are not talking about the motor...you're talking about the circulating pump shaft...?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.
Yes the circulating pump motor, not the drain pump the big motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmmm....I'm not going to be able to connect it to mains power and water supply simultaneously whilst having access underneath the machine. And even if I could, is there not a risk it would juts flood the place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you could steer me into what you suspect *might* be the problem. i.e. what does E1 mean, I might be able to play around myself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and just to be clear..you do understand that it is pumping water out of the machine in the initial draining sequence yes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ahh got it..circulating pump..where is that? lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it the reevori that's part of and next to the salt reservoir? Currently filled with very brown, rusty looking water
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
reservoir..
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.
Hang on and I will take a picture for you -
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
weird...I juts reconnected it fully and it's all working agin...alebit it's still running stone cold which i'm guessing means, given I've replaced the element, the thermostat is gone...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but importantly, no mirror messages at all.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.
OK if you look at the picture - top right is the water softener which is filled with Ceramic Beads not rusty water. In the middle is the large circulating pump - yours may be slightly different in shape because they source from a number of companes and down the bottom connected to the drain hose is the drain pump. The reason that we are checking the circulating pump is that the sequence of operation is, pump out, then fill and slightly later the circulating pump comes on. It appears that your circulating pump is not coming on, this either indicates a faulty circulating pump or its start capacitor, faulty wiring or faulty pcb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes..circulating pump is working fine...problem now is stone cold water! which I'm guessing must be the thermostat
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.
OK do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
afraid not...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But to be fair..you have been incredibly helpful... this can surely only now be the thermostat or pressure switch for the heating element? In for a penny..in for a pound! Just order the parts?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.
No firstly check the parts before you order, go get yourself a cheap multimeter that shows volts AC and has a continuity beeper and come back to me, it can be either the heater (even new ones can be duff) the thermistor which is an electronic thermostat, not likely to be the pressure switch as the water doesnt overlow but it could be the wiring or the main pcb. Lets get it right before you waste money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, multimtere ordered, will receive tomorrow. Many thanks Catch you tomorrow.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.
OK no worries see you tomorrow