Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Rob. I live in South Africa. My Smeg DC122SS is three

Customer Question

Hello Rob. I live in South Africa. My Smeg DC122SS is three years old and gave me milky glasses at the completion of the cycle. The salt refill light was on. When I opened the salt chamber to refill it, I saw that the chamber was dry instead of the usual fill with water to the brim. I added dishwasher salt and filled the chamber with water ( which swithed off the salt refill warning light) but it gave the same problem: no water in the salt chamber after the next cycle. I have had a technician look at it and he says there is nothing wrong with it. Can you please give me your thoughts? Kind regards, ***** ***** Johannesburg
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
OK it sounds like one of the solenoid valves on the water softener/salt container has failed. Are you able to use a multimeter?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You have not answered my question, but yes i am able to use a multi tester. Can I assume
1. This is a genuine error for this machine. Yes/no?
2. It is one of three things:
- the PC board has failed and is not sending the signal to the solenoid
- the solenoid is disfunctional/blown
- the valve is jammed and can't open to fill with waterPlease comment on the above.Kind regards,Albert
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
OK if you lick the cloudy dishwasher does it taste salty?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have not tried because i have been washing my dishes by hand 😜😩😱 but will run another cycle and taste it and let you know.
Please read the following carefully and respond with an answer:
I put my question (which you have not answered) to you again: is the salt chamber of the Smeg dishwasher supposed to be full of water or dry after a cycle?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
Full - I note your point above but you stated that the salt container was dry as an observation which is why I referred later to the solenoid - it did not come across as being a question that needed answering. So to clarify points above 1. Yes this is a genuine problem, 2, It could be one of the following three faults that you mention together with the wiring between the container and all solenoid attached to it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. Therfore i have a problem with either the PC Board, or the solenoid or the valve. Correct?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
Before I can make an informed decision on that I need you to tell me about the salt taste. Once we have that I can take you further. Bearing in mind that the salt container/water softener is a complete unit I need to be happy with what I am going to suggest later.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. I will do the taste test and let you know.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
OK in the meantime I will do abit more research on the subject.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The glasses don't taste salty
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
OK can you confirm that the seal on top of the salt cape - if the seal is good you then need to check all of the solenoids on the water softener and come back with their resistance readings.