Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a slideout Smeg rangehood, and need to change

Customer Question

I have a slideout Smeg rangehood, and need to change one of the two light globes. It has a flat glass panel beneath the globes, with a black plastic clip at each end of the glass panel, the left-hand clip has a small screw holding it in place.
I have removed the screw, but the plastic clips are still holding in place, I cannot remove them. I have tried sliding a kitchen knife under one, and already half broken it!
Can you tell me how to remove these clips. so i can get the glass panel out, to change the globes?
Thank you
Colin M
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! I believe the clips will slide to unlock a release tab. However, if you can provide a model number, I can verify that for you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have looked all over the machine, there is no model number or anything at all. I only know its Smeg because that name and logo are printed on the small glass panel, the one I am trying to remove.
Would it help if I took a photo and emailed it to you?
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Yes, can you attach a photo, please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will get a photo, I am away for this week, hope to get it to you on the weekend
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Photo attached
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
That should just pull down on the end that was screwed in and then slid left to release the other side. Will it push right to allow it to come down on the left?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No mate, there is no play at all to slide either way.
Also I have now snapped off the black plastic lug on the left end (where the screw was), as I was trying to ease it down using a knife. The glass, and the rest of the plastic lug, are wedged still in place. I can force the glass down a bit by getting a knife in there, but it will break something more if I force it.
Why do they make things so bloody difficult?????
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Well, that is how it is supposed to come out. It sounds like something is jammed and I won't be able to provide much help without being there. Maybe another has seen this. I will open your question for others to see.