Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Water pooling under the refrigerator, in front on left side.

Customer Question

Water pooling under the refrigerator, in front on left side. This happens at random intervals. Model is a two door Viking with freezer on the bottom.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Water started to appear 3 months ago.There has also been an instance of frost in the freezer section. Recently, water is showing up more frequently. Last night I shut off the unit for 12 hours. The floor was dry afterwards. However, this afternoon a lot of water appeared.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Appliance Technician before I connect you two?
Customer:
I have been advised that a fan motor may be needed to be replaced.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.
Would you kindly give me the specific model of your appliance Viking make a number of fridge freezers and it would help greatly to know which yours is. Ian
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
VCBB363LSS
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the delay I was trying to get hold of a diagram of your appliance but in the meantime I can tell you what the problem is, as you are aware the appliance has an auto defrost facility ie every 8 or 10 hours of motor it action it goes into defrost and defrosts all the ice on the cooling plate at the back. From what you have told me the drain hole for this water has blocked or frozen up and instead of draining away it is coming out of the front and running under the appliance. If you can leave it with me for a short while I will see if I can track down a diagram and advise you how to unblock the drain hole - Ian
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I am leaving for about 90 minutes. So you can take your time in responding. Meanwhile, an onsite service technician said I need a fan p/n 004551-000. By the way, there is a sort of scraping sound that I hear from the mechanical area. Could the exhaust fan be making the sound?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.
It is more likely that the fan is catching on ice behind the rear cover, at this point I am not convinced that the problem is with a fan more to do with the defrosting system. But once I have a diagram I can make a more informed decision.