Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Siemens Siwamat WM6100FF/01 washing machine and am

Customer Question

I have a Siemens Siwamat WM6100FF/01 washing machine and am trying to change the shock absorbers. I can remove the bottom bolt of the shock absorbers but the top bolt (metal dera 8.8) appears fixed solid. Is this bolt a special bolt? How do I remove bolt and replace shock absorber?
Category: UK Appliance
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Machine correct e Nr number WM61002FF/01
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
The bolt is probably just stuck. It is not a specialty bolt, it just slides through the end of the shock like the bottom one does, unless it has been modified during replacement in the past. Can you post a picture of what you see on that top bolt?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Top bolt front view
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I dont think its stuck as both sides are rhe samw
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Top bolt back view
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
That is just a standard bolt. Will the nut just not loosen to come off? Have you tried using an adjustable wrench on the nut, rather than turning the bolt head?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The nut, i believe is fixed to the back plate like the bottom one. The bottom came off easily but it is a slightly different bolt.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have also tried wd40 to no avail. I am concerned that there is a technique or special manner to getting this off. If i pull too hard on the bolt fixing it bends the drum
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
It is not showing that to be the case, I would use a little heat to see if it will loosen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do i do that?
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Use a small propane torch to heat the nut and see if the bolt will turn out.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will have to go buy one to try this
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
I don't see anything that would be causing it to not come out unless there is thread lock on the nut.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But how would i know if there was a thread lock
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Usually there is a colored substance on the threads but I can't see anything. Heat will help to break it free if there are on the threads that are not visible.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ill look into that but ill have to buy the torch
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
They are pretty inexpensive and I really do think you will need one if you are unable to get the bolt out. There is no special tool for removing it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ill check it out before i get back to you. Ill have to wait now until tomorrow morning
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Sure, thank you! Have a nice rest of your evening.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Cheers ***** *****
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Spoke to siemens. They strongly advised against heat as the connecting shock absorber is plastic. If i still cant remove the bolt i will end up with a melted unusable mess. I think i am obliged to call an engineer out as i cant find a solution.