Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have hoover hsc170 tumble dryer and it doesnt seem to

Customer Question

Hi, I have hoover hsc170 tumble dryer and it doesnt seem to be drying (heating)...even after a 2-3 hour cycle, clothes are not warm and dry..
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I have hoover hsc170 tumble dryer and it doesnt seem to be drying (heating)...even after a 2-3 hour cycle, clothes are not warm and dry..
JA: Anything else I can tell the Appliance Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 8 months ago.
Hi What need to do first is remove the top and from there just check the belt is still around the drum. If the belt is fine then its possible the heater as on the heater is the thermostats. You need to remove the heater cover on the back of the dryer and from there you will see the thermostats on there. You need a multi meter to test the thermostats for contonuity. If faulty then the heater unit will need to be replaced as this comes as a complete unit. Then with a new heater this should be back to normal from there. So check them and see what you find as for this fault its usually either the belt snapped or the heater unit at fault. Regards
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Since the drum is rotating, felt obvious that it wouldnt be the belt. I opened the top to confirm this.I opened the back cover and checked the continuity with a multimeter. I saw a few videos but could not take out the thermostat. So i checked the two terminals without taking out the thermostat and it showed a 0 reading.You didnt suggest what the problem could be if the belt was fine and if the thermostat was fine. what should i do next?
regs
manas ***********
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Ok as the drum turns then the belt will be fine. I just said to check the belt as in your question you never said the drum was turning so i started at the begining. As you got a 0 reading on the thermostat then its faulty and that will be the cause of the problem. So thats were the fault lies. As the thermostat should give a contonuity reading at least. You need to replace the complete heater as the thermostats come as part of the heater then this will cure the fault from there for you. Regards