Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic

Samsung RSG5DUMH display flashing after a power cut, I've

Customer Question

Hi Samsung RSG5DUMH display flashing after a power cut, I've tried turning power off for a rest and still flashing away
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Hi sorry had to nip out. So power went off and display is not responding to anything. Also showing 88 on left side and 88 changing to 88 but missing the bottom right hand of last eight
JA: Anything else I can tell the Appliance Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
Looking at the controls on the freezer door, if you press the top left and top right button and hold it in can you tell me if the display starts to flash?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi so I've done as you suggested and there is no change to the symptom. The display is currently showing 88 & 88 with the bottom of the 8 on far right flashing on and off, like an inverted 6. This is all after a power cut earlier today, previously all working correctly
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
OK the bottom flashing digit indicates that you have a problem with the refrigerator defrost sensor - however this should not stop the appliance from running but will need replacing at some time - Ian
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok but would a power surge cause this such as when the power came back on? And is it possible to clear this from the display?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
You should have been able to press in the top two buttons as mentioned earlier, keep them pressed in for a short period and then the display should have started to flash keeping the buttons in would display the error and then the appliance would have reset itself. Try that again giving it a little longer to do its thing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok tried that and as per previous info supplied the panel does not respond to anything, just flashes. The ice and water buttons do nothing either, can you help or do I need someone else?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
I think you need a Samsung engineer - but just in case any of my colleges have a second opinion I will opt out and let them consider your plight.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So your system came up with suggesting Rob, I do not seem to be getting very far as not sure you have read the issue. Pressing the buttons does nothing I stated that on first info section!
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
Press power freeze and lighting buttons together and hold down for at least 10 seconds until the LED start to flash and the aplliance sends out a ding-dong sound - you are now in self test mode. The entire display will go blank for a moment and then relevant parts of the temperature 'figure of eight' will stay on - let me know what these are. If this does not occur you have a fault with either the display pcb (very common on this model) , the main pcb or both.The reason I opted out was to give someone else the option to answer - my point regarding Rob is that by posting another information request you are also being charged twice and further it not only clutters up the system but confuses the experts who have no idea who is answering what.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so as mentioned before holding these buttons for any amount of time does the square root of nothing. On checking the appliance this morning it is all back to normal on the display!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Problem somehow resolved.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
Likely pressing the buttons, this causes a full microprocessor reset. If you still have a problem it will reappear after a day or so.