Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

We have a Zanussi FJR1454W (quite old but good). My wife was

Customer Question

We have a Zanussi FJR1454W (quite old but good). My wife was doing the washing the other day - I was out. During the second load, the machine just stopped with wet, soapy clothes inside.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Sorry, pressed return ;o) Now, the macine turns on but no lights light up and we can't start it. I therefore can't get an error code. I think there is probably still water in the drum. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Appliance Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: Not really, as I said, I wasn't here at the time and my wife is not sure how long the machine had been sitting there.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.
Could you kindly let me have the product code or pnc please - Ian
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Product code is###-##-####
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.
OK the first thing that I would like you to do is to put it on a pump out or spin and tell me if the water is being pumped down the drain - Ian
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Ian, the machine is not working at all. When I power up I get power to the machine but when I press 'start' nothing happens - I get no leds for temperature or fabric or any of those columns. There is a light on the door look but nowhere else.
I have had to clean the buttons before now and so I did that the other day and it made no difference. The only thing my wife did differently was to choose 'super rinse'. Any ideas ??
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.
It sounds like the main control board has gone, he super rinse only causes the washing machine to do an extra rinse so I dont think that has any effect at all. Do you get any flashing lights or error codes when you start the appliance. This might take a couple of minutes to illuminate?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Ian, I plugged in and switched on and only had the On/Off and the door light illuminated. I left it for 5 minutes and nothing else lit up. I pressed some buttons but still nothing.
Is the main board the one behind the buttons?
Alan ...
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.
OK lets try something, if you go to the process of setting the appliance and they hit start, once the door lock illuminates are you able to then open the door?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Ian,
Sorry for the delay in replying. Switch on and wait a couple of seconds ... door light illuminates and NO! ... I can't open the door.
Alan ...
It's nearly 10 pm here in Spain so I may not respond until tomorrow :o)
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.
OK next thing when you have a minute to do is check the motor carbon brushes - then come back to me.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That sounds like fun! I'm a little concerned because I think there may still be water in the drum and I imagine I have to turn the machine on its side to access the motor. I haven't checked the motor before and I have a dentist apopointment this afternoon so please bear with me
Alan ...
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.
no problem.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi again Ian,
After much swearing and blood loss I have removed the motor ... You didn't tell me that the casing splits in two :o)I have about an inch (25 mm) left on each of the brushes which is quite amazing considering the age of the machine. Whilst I have the motor out I have checked the resistances between the contacts. There are 10 contacts but only 9 are used. They are (from top top bottom where 'bottom' is where the fixing screws are);
1 - Green, 2 - Yellow, 3 - Green, 4 - White, 5 - White, 6 - Brown, 7 - Yellow, 8 - Yellow, 9 - n/c, 10 - Red.
Resistances are;
1 to 2 through 1 to 5 High (1), 1 to 6 = Low (0), ! to 7 and 1 to 8 High, 1 to 10 low.I can check all the other permutations if you want.Cheers, ***** *****
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.
OK they sound about right, this brings me back to my original thought that you have a problem with the main pcb. give me a couple of minutes and I will look out the test procedure for your model and lets see if we can get it to do a self-check.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Ian,
I am surprised that I haven't heard from you in almost a week. I have a washing machine in pieces in the utility room. Should I put the motor back in? Should I take the whole thing to a repair man or throw it in the rubbish tip?
You mentioned a self test, is that feasibile?
Alan ...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I still haven't received a solution to my question. You left me high and dry with a mention of a self test for the PCB.
Not good enough. Offering me a free whatever will, no doubt, end up costing me more.
Please refund my money as per the terms of our agreement.
Alan ...
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
To access the diagnostics ~ switch the appliance off and turn the selector knob to reset. Press start pause button together with one of the other buttons and hold both down. Press the one/off button to switch on the appliance Hold both of the other buttons down until the buzzer sound and the leds flash. To read the last alarm turn the program selector knob counter clockwise two positions - the alarm code should show in the display. Come back to me when you have it to hand.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry Ian, we don't have a selector knob. All programs are chosen through button presses.Alan ...
ps. glad you're back on the case!
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
OK lets try this one -a. Press the skip/reset button to cancel the program and switch off the applianceb. Press the start/pause button together with the skip reset and then holding them both down press the on/off button to switch on the appliance. hold both start/pause & skip/reset in until the buzzer sounds and the leds light.c. Press either fabric or temperature buttons until Led 9 lights (second row from left 2nd from bottom) at which point any errors will be in the display. Come back to me with the results
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Ian, I'll have to do this in the morning as I am busy tonight. Do I need to put the motor back in ??
Alan ...
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
Yes it should all be reassembled so that the autotest can check all the components.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thanks Ian. I'll get back to you tomorrow.
Alan ...
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
I'll be around
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh Dear,
I did as you asked ... part (b) gives no response. I held start + skip for about 45 seconds and nothing happened - no beep and no LED's save for the On Led and The Door LED.
Doesn't sound good. does it!
Our problem is that we live at the end of the world here in Spain and, in order to use the washing machine, we have to fire up the generator. This old machine is barely computerised and has lasted over a year here (and many more years back in the UK).
If I can't fix it I shall have to look for a non-computerised machine. They are not easy to find these days.
Any more help will be welcome. How much would a new motherboard cost - that is if you still think that that is the problem.
Cheers, Alan ...
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
Hang on Alan, somewhere abouts I have the really old if this doesnt work sheet that tells me how to do it old school. Will come back to you but may take a couple of hours as likely its in the loft space.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You're a star ;o)
I'm happy to wait for a couple of days if necessary so don't bust a gut.
We found a woman in the local town who takes in washing and so I'll go tomorrow with a couple of loads for her.
This weekend the local town (El Perello) has its annual honey and olive oil festival. And Tortosa has it's English Festival so Saturday and Sunday are full days for us. We have to go and meet up with some of the other ex-pats.
I hadn't realised that El Perello is the largest honey producer in Catalonia ... 60% of the honey is produced here.
Best, Alan ...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Ian,
Any luck ?
Alan ...