Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Philips Whirlpool dishwasher G2PDWS, it now stops

Customer Question

Hi, Hi, I have a Philips Whirlpool dishwasher G2PDWS, it now stops halfway through its cycle at the same place each time when more water is meant to enter. I've just replaced the water inlet valve. Water enters the machine at the beginning of the cycle and when the machine reaches its fill level, air pressure turns the inlet valve off. If I remove the air pressure tube from the inlet valve the machine works fine all through the cycle, though it does fill with a higher level of water. If I blow down the air pressure tube, the inlet valve turns the water off. The problem seems to be once the air pressure has turned the inlet valve off the first time, the valve won't open again later in the cycle (it just hums). If I tap the valve with a hammer, water will start to flow again. My old inlet valve started to act like this and that's why I bought a new one thinking the valve was at fault. Do you know what reactivates the inlet valve once air pressure has turned it off, or any do you know of any other likely cause?
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: no, that's the problem summed up.
JA: Our top Appliance Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Appliance Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Appliance Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

If the valve is humming but not opening to allow the water to fill, the voltage to the valve is probably lower than designed since the valve is new. Do you have a meter to test the voltage at the valve as it is supposed to be filling but only hums?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The voltage across the inlet valve at the start of the cycle is 5.43V and the valve opens fine, it then goes to 0V when closed, and goes to 5.43V again at other times during the cycle when the water is meant to enter but doesn't. If I give the valve a sharp tap when the voltage is 5.43V, it will open and let water through. If I remove the inlet valve's air pressure tube (that shuts the valve off when the water level is correct), the valve works fine every time.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

That voltage is not correct. Are you reading it with the wires connected?

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

The voltage rating is stamped on the side and should be 230 VAC.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was reading it with the inlet valve connected.I'll read it again tomorrow without it connected.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

It must be connected or the reading will be incorrect. It should be a 230 VAC valve solenoid according to specs. Just post back what you find, thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, the voltage is 239-241 VAC.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Okay, so it is getting voltage but no water is flowing through it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As said previously, (with the air tube connected to it) the valve only lets water through at the start of the cycle - other times in the cycle when it's meant to let water through it doesn't. However, the valve does function properly when the air tube is not connected to it. Here's a link to the valve: http://www.4whirlpool.co.uk/dishwasher/g2pdwswh-851134215511/dishwasher-solenoid-valve/product.pl?pid=72169&path=47872&refine=solenoid+valve&model_ref=263485.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, any idea what the problem could be or a solution?