Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

I've got a Smeg 5 ring hob. I was cleaning it earlier

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I've got a Smeg 5 ring hob. I was cleaning it earlier tonight and it started clicking as if trying to ignite. All five burners did this and I could see the blue spark. It is not sparking any more but it is still clicking. This has been going on for over an hour.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: Don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 7 months ago.

This happens when the spark leads get wet or damp.

What you need to do is turn the power off to the hob and remove all the burners and the caps.

There you will see the white spark probe. You need to get a dry cloth and wipe each one.

Then get a hairdryer and heat each one up and fully dry them.

Then pull the control knob off the hobs and aim the hairdryer onto the shaft the knob goes and dry each one of them as well as I don't know the model of your hob so I will describe all ways to do this.

Once you have done all this refit the burners and turn it back on and see if this stops it. Fingers crossed it does and it will be fine from there.

But if after all that its still the same then this will be either the spark box itself or again depending on the model one of the spark switch are at fault which will need to be replaced.

But try the above and fingers crossed drying them out cures it as nearly always it does.