Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Siemens E10 washing machine trips the house RCD when it

Customer Question

Hi.
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Siemens E10 washing machine trips the house RCD when it enters the spin cycle.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Some history....
JA: Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: It all started when the machine stopped working. First thing I noticed was the water didn't drain well, so I looked for blockages at the pump and noticed the impellor was all broken so I fitted a new pump.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: It filled, and drained so the pump worked, but the drum wouldn't rotate. So I looked at the brushes and they were worn to nothing. New brushes fitted and the drum rotates
Category: UK Appliance
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The machine now works as normal until it reaches the spin cycle. Then it trips the house RCD so there is a short somewhere. Where to look? There must be a controller for the motor speed.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

First thing to do is to check the motor brushes ~ Ian

Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

If you find that they are OK then (and I see that you have replaced them but check that they are loose in the holders and can move in and out without sticking) you likely have a damaged motor that needs replacing. Much more likely than a motor controller.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi,The machine works up until the spin cycle. As the motor turns I'm guessing there is a short somewhere else. As it trips the main RCD of the house it has to be a big short direct to earth (I believe). I took the motor out to be sure the brushes I fitted are fitted correctly and are free to touch the armature.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

OK I need you to run the appliance in spin whilst keeping an eye on the motor and then tell me if you can see any arcing of the motor in the brush area. It may well be that the armature on the motor is now faulty.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It doesn't do anything except trip the breaker. There is no evidence of arcing at the motor. No burning or that electrical arcing smell you usually get with a short circuit.
As the pump was the first thing to go, is there anything that could have burnt out to cause this. I'm thinking along the lines of a safety switch that prevents the machine going to spin cycle while full of water. The other thing I am thinking of is that there must be a control for the speed of the motor. If so, where is it and what does it look like?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

Give me the full ENr for the appliance, its in the door recess and then I can look up the info

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
WM10E681GB/01
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

Could you recheck that ENr please ~ its not listed on my data base.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I fixed it!The short answer is that there was a short from the brush carrier to the motor body. I have a theory as to how it happened and why it didn't show up immediately, but a theory is just my opinion so it doesn't really count, but it'll do for me.I found out that the controller I was looking for is part of the main circuit board. I took that out and there was no evidence of arcing. Plus it's low amps at that point so wouldn't trip the house mains. So I went back to the motor. The only thing that draws that kind of current except the heater (and as it was on a spin cycle it couldn't be the heater). I dismantled the motor and using a multi meter found a short in the brush area. Still no evidence of where though. I took the offending carrier out and found arcing underneath it. Cleaned it up. Shorting problem solved.I've just put the machine back together and am washing my clothes.Time to go to work now. Thanks for trying all the same.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

No worries