Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I live in a first floor apartment but I am having mold

Customer Question

i live in a first floor apartment but I am having mold problems in one bed that has a small window. I am constantly buying Damp Rid products for the moisture in the closet area. I had to remove shoes from the closet because of mold. Can a dehumidifier work for this area. (I live in the virgin islands which has a tropical climate all year long)
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

Yes a dehumidifier would work fine in this situation, as you are aware condensation is created when warm air which is moisture laden hits a cold surface. A dehumidifier works by providing an alternative source of cold surfaces (electro/mechanically) and then extracting the moisture out of the air and condensing it into a tank or drain outlet. A humidifier whilst cooling the air does so by passing warm air through usually a wick and actually puts moisture back into the air. Look for a dehumidifier or increase the ventilation (humidistat controlled extractor fan)