Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

My Electrolux vacuum cleaner is blowing air from the top

Customer Question

My Electrolux vacuum cleaner is blowing air from the top instead of sucking from the tube
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

Can I have the model number and pnc or product code please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know there is a huge time difference as I am in Australia! However, here is the model number of my Electrolux vacuum cleaner which I have to confess is over 40 years old - Z337, product 900 62 37. The motor still sounds good, but when I go to use it there seems to be a lot of air coming from the hole at the top where the filter pad sits, and not much suction from the hose. I blew air through the hose from the top hole and some dust came out, so I don't think the hose is blocked. I did take it to a shop where they just said they can't get parts for my vacuum, so maybe the time has come to let it go?
I would be grateful for your thoughts about this. Regards, Dawn
Expert:  bonzaco replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dawn - OK not wishing to teach you to suck eggs here but lets go through the theory and see if between us we can find what is wrong with the old lady. I remember back in the 70s when these were the Vacuum cleaners to have and rightly so. Basically the vacuum cleaner is just an electric motor with a fan on one end (located in a can) that sucks in air (and with it dirt) and blows out air less the dirt at the other. Add in a bag, hose, on/off switch and a couple of filters and thats you lot. As you have stated the main problems with them are to keep the system sealed or you have no vacuum. So firstly lets just do a couple of simple things. If you take off the hose and remove the dust bag then close the top and switch on do you have good suction?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that seems to be okay.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 10 months ago.

OK you should have two filters (from memory) one at the input to the motor (the bag end) and one at the other end at the motor exhaust end - are they clean?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't see a filter at t he bag end, unless you mean there is one behind the metal plate with holes in it. I can't remove that. All I know as a filter is at the top of the barrel where the air comes out, and that is a filter that I put in over the hole. Unless the fabric around that hole is a filter? Maybe it should be white and it does look a bit grey, but it is quite hard and slightly ridged.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 10 months ago.

Don't worry that is fine and I will have a proper look for my old handbooks later, next question, where the hose fits to the vacuum cleaner there is a three lug connection where you line up the three lugs and then push and turn. Is the rubber O ring still on the end to seal the joint?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When you say rubber O ring, there is a fairly solid black rubber ring between the lugs and the 5cm black plastic band. The black rubber is not just a round ring, it is 1cm and is stepped? I hope I have explained thAt well enough.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 10 months ago.

OK I think it best if I find the old manual and then I can send you the parts breakdown and we can both identify what we are looking at - come back to you later today - Ian

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi IanOver the weekend I had to borrow a friend's fairly new Dyson vacuum cleaner and it made me realise that I should just bite the bullet and finally realise that my 40 year Electrolux has well and truly run out of life.
I appreciate you trying to help me with my problem but I think I should now just buy a new vacuum cleaner.
Regards, Dawn