Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

My next dishwasher is stuck on a filling and emptying loop.

Customer Question

Hi, my next dishwasher is stuck on a filling and emptying loop.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

Are you referring to the same dishwasher or a different one?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Referring to neff S5443x1gb17
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

Is this filling & then emptying or filing and emptying at the same time?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Filling then emptying in quick succession. The float switch is working.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have tried to send a video, not sure if it has come through.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

ok you will need this piece replaced - part number 00263186 pressure chamber including switch. This is the item that controls the full operation of the dishwasher.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I thought that might be a solution, the only thing that confused me was that when I tested the micro switch with my multimeter it seemed to be working (i.e. max resistance when off reducing to a handful of ohms when depressed. Is there another component involved in the circuit/system that I've missed?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

It relies upon the pressure within the chamber to activate the microswitch. Usually they get seized by debris and jam. The only other thing that can cause it is that the main pcb is faulty.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The diaphragm is being pushed out appropriately and moving the blue lever but with no effect on the water flow. Testing the micro switch directly I definitely get a big drop of resistance.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

Well if you press the microswitch does the state of events change?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it has no effect. the bottom of the dishwasher doesn't seem to come off (big plastic tray), so I can't follow the wires all the way through. a pcb sounds expensive
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

OK just exhausting other problems first, if you take off one of the connectors to the inlet valve does the water fill stop, secondly if you activate the diaphragm lever by hand does this have any effect?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Activating the diaphragm lever has no effect, but the switch appears to be fictional on the micrometer. I will test the inlet by disconnecting it when I get home tonight, I replaced the solenoid last night before I contacted you so it should work unless it is a control issue.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Functional, not fictional, sorry
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

If you follow the cables using your meter from the diaphram switch to the main pcb if you get switching action at that end then the problem is with the pcb.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, thanks, ***** ***** this tonight after work.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

OK speak to you later?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
have used the multimeter to chase the cables across the botom of the machine to the plugs and then the wires disappear up the door to the interface and 'computer'. I've not taken the apart the door.Interestingly, when I turn on the dishwasher and it immediately starts filling with water from the solenoid no lights come on on the interface. Also I'm unable to reset the machine by pushing to two buttons on the top.Would the correct conculsion from this be that the machine is rogered and I need to buy a new one?!
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

Or you take off the door, then check the cables to the main board and at the same time check that the buttons are actually activating the switches on the board. You then can either send the board away for repair or replace the d/w

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, thanks. I might as well have a look, I've not got much to lose!!
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

My thoughts precisely Take off outer door by removing all the inner door screws and you've got things in front of you, check the cables as they come up under the door they have a habit of breaking at the upward bend as they come out of the base area and head up towards the facia.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for you help. I've followed the cables and all are intact. I've checked the connections too. The lack of lights leads me to think that the control unit is gone. So we'll buy a new dishwasher.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

OK well we tried our best - would you now kindly rate the information given to you in the star rating box at the top of the page. Once done all further questions, if needed are free of charge. Thank you for using JA and enjoy the rest of your day - Ian