Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Rob. I have the same problem as a previous poster in that my

Customer Question

Hi Rob. I have the same problem as a previous poster in that my laundry stinks while drying and my brother always mentions a musty smell out of mine and my kids clothes. It seems to smell ok when removed but within minutes of being on the airer I feel like I need to wash it again. It's a hot point wmd960
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

Good morning my name is ***** ***** I'm not sure if Rob is on the site today as I havent heard from him in a day or two. The problem is caused by a fungus that grows in washing appliances and lives on the debris that comes off our clothes. As it grows so it gives off this musty smell. This fungus can only live in an environment below 70 degrees centigrade but as you can imagine a washing machine is ideal as its dark, humid and generally we don't wash above 60C these days. There is two ways that you can remove the smell -

a. Put a cap of domestos in the appliance and do a boil or hot was in it without clothes OR

b. Put a scoop of biological washing powder (it has to be bio and it has to be powder) into the drum area and do the same boil or hot wash.

This will clear out the smell and kill off the fungus, this however is an ongoing process that you should do every couple of months or the fungus will return and with it the smell.

Hope that helps - would you now kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done further questions are free of charge. Thank you for using JA and have a great day.

Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

Do you require further assistance?