Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My name's Jules. I have a intermittent problem with my

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name's***** have a intermittent problem with my fridge which keeps turning on and off. If I hit it on the side it turns off, then if I hit it again it turns off....
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not right now as I'm at work, I'll be able to when I get home...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to UK Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yup
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 11 months ago.

Hi

Can you post the make and model number of the appliance please.

Regards

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hotpoint HUL161l
Turns off completely, then turns on if you hit the side of the fridge.
Now the motor sometimes races and makes an enormous noise.

Hi

Ok if the appliance is turning off completey then the first thing you need to do is check the plug socket the plug goes into.

As this is a basic appliance so it only has a thermostat and a compressor. The thermostat wont cause this or the compressor either. So try another plug socket and see if this cures the fault.

If its still the same then you need to pull the appliance out from under the unit and attached to the left side of the compressor is a plastic cover that hides the wires.

Remove this cover and there you will see the relay. Check the wires going on there as if you have to bang it then the fault is a poor connection some were so its either the socket its plugged into or the relay on the side of the compressor so check them and see what you find from there.

Regards