Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My fan makes a strange noise. Like it's not rotating

Customer Question

hi, my fan for FAB32LFA makes a strange noise. Like it's not rotating properly. The fridge/freezer otherwise works fine. I pulled the fridge away from the wall and see that the engine is at the bottom but the noise comes from the top. I would assume there is another engine at the top which causes the noise? How can I make the noise stop? Would it be safe to open the back?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! There may be frost built up around the fan blades causing the noise you are hearing. Unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours with the doors open to allow a full thaw. Does the noise continue when plugged back in?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Kelly, it's at the top? It's the fridge part where the noise comes from, not the freezer? Basically the noise comes on when the rotator fan goes on at the top but when I open the door (and the fan engine goes off) there is no noise so I think it cannot be the blades as they are still spinning when I open the door. I don't yet want to defrost my fridge for this reason, I don't think that's the issue. Can you tell me what is at the top for a FAB32LFA fridge please? Unfortunately I cannot see so I need some help and I do not know if I can open the fridge at the back.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Does the noise seem to come from inside the cabinet or outside? There is only one compressor at the bottom, so aside from fan noise, I am not sure what would be causing the noise.