Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

How do I replace the door catch on a zanussi ZM24STX

Customer Question

How do I replace the door catch on a zanussi ZM24STX microwave?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The catch in the door will require the door choke, the plastic trim at the inside edges, be removed for access to the inside of the door. If the inside latch that is in the body of the microwave is what you are needing to replace, you will have to remove the outer cabinet. Which latch are you replacing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly, it is the latch/catch in the microwave door that I want to replace. How do Imgo about removing the door choke and plastic trim at the inside edges?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should probably also clarify that the microwave is not free-standing
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The plastic cover around the glass, the choke, will pry off. It has plastic pressure tabs that secure it in place. The tricky part is getting the choke off without breaking those tabs, it is not easy. Pry gently all the way around in very small increments to prevent breaking the choke.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I've got the choke off no problem, what's next?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Great! The outer edge of the door should come off the metal frame (same careful prying) at the latch side to allow access to the latch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so I've fitted the new latch, but there's a problem, the lower & larger of the two prongs on the latch is being blocked from entering the aperture that should receive it on the main body of the microwave. It doesn't look like debris, it looks like the obstruction should retract to accept the lower prong and allow it to enter the aperture until the door is closed flushed, but for done reason it won't budge ☹️
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The latch in the door should move up and down with spring tension. Does it slide up and down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The latch in the door does not slide up & down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By latch in the door, I mean the one I have judged fitted
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Was there a small spring on the old one? That latch should slide. When the door is closed, the latch should be held under spring tension to actuate the door switches. When the door is opened, it has to slide up to clear the receiver in the microwave.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there was no sign of a spring in the old one nor in the part I just fitted to replace it
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Can you post a picture of part that is in the microwave, the part the latch will not go into?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a photo
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The lock assembly is in the locked position. If you close the door gently with a little pressure on the door and press the door open button, will it subsequently shut?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LOL no, not even with a lot of pressure on the door!!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like the lock assembly may be faulty. What was the reason for replacing the latch in the door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the lower prong on the original latch was broken
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Oh, okay. The lock assembly not releasing may have been what caused it to break. It sounds like the lock assembly in the microwave will need to be replaced if ther door open button does not release it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, that would seem to be th case. Do you know whether it:s possible to change the lock assembly on this model - I'll need to try & source the parts if so, then I'll no doubt be asking another "how do I... ?" In the near future!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It appears to be no longer available, see link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.spares4repairs.co.uk/Zanussi/Microwave/ZM24STX/Door%20Lock-2235/12/#
Can get it here, pricey tho. Would have to be sure of being able to make the replacement fit/work
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The microwave cabinet will need to be removed to access it for replacement.