Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

How do I replace the door catch on a zanussi ZM24STX

Customer Question

How do I replace the door catch on a zanussi ZM24STX microwave?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The catch in the door will require the door choke, the plastic trim at the inside edges, be removed for access to the inside of the door. If the inside latch that is in the body of the microwave is what you are needing to replace, you will have to remove the outer cabinet. Which latch are you replacing?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Kelly, it is the latch/catch in the microwave door that I want to replace. How do Imgo about removing the door choke and plastic trim at the inside edges?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I should probably also clarify that the microwave is not free-standing
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

The plastic cover around the glass, the choke, will pry off. It has plastic pressure tabs that secure it in place. The tricky part is getting the choke off without breaking those tabs, it is not easy. Pry gently all the way around in very small increments to prevent breaking the choke.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yeah, I've got the choke off no problem, what's next?
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

Great! The outer edge of the door should come off the metal frame (same careful prying) at the latch side to allow access to the latch.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OK, so I've fitted the new latch, but there's a problem, the lower & larger of the two prongs on the latch is being blocked from entering the aperture that should receive it on the main body of the microwave. It doesn't look like debris, it looks like the obstruction should retract to accept the lower prong and allow it to enter the aperture until the door is closed flushed, but for done reason it won't budge ☹️
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

The latch in the door should move up and down with spring tension. Does it slide up and down?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The latch in the door does not slide up & down
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
By latch in the door, I mean the one I have judged fitted
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

Was there a small spring on the old one? That latch should slide. When the door is closed, the latch should be held under spring tension to actuate the door switches. When the door is opened, it has to slide up to clear the receiver in the microwave.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No there was no sign of a spring in the old one nor in the part I just fitted to replace it
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

Can you post a picture of part that is in the microwave, the part the latch will not go into?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Here's a photo
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

The lock assembly is in the locked position. If you close the door gently with a little pressure on the door and press the door open button, will it subsequently shut?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
LOL no, not even with a lot of pressure on the door!!
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

Sounds like the lock assembly may be faulty. What was the reason for replacing the latch in the door?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi, the lower prong on the original latch was broken
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

Oh, okay. The lock assembly not releasing may have been what caused it to break. It sounds like the lock assembly in the microwave will need to be replaced if ther door open button does not release it.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yeah, that would seem to be th case. Do you know whether it:s possible to change the lock assembly on this model - I'll need to try & source the parts if so, then I'll no doubt be asking another "how do I... ?" In the near future!
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

It appears to be no longer available, see link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
http://www.spares4repairs.co.uk/Zanussi/Microwave/ZM24STX/Door%20Lock-2235/12/#
Can get it here, pricey tho. Would have to be sure of being able to make the replacement fit/work
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

The microwave cabinet will need to be removed to access it for replacement.