Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a Gaggenau SK 534 double door fridge freezer. At the

Customer Question

Hello, we have a Gaggenau SK 534 double door fridge freezer. At the botom of the freezer, there are some heater elements that are getting red hot, can you explain this or give me a solution?
Thanks
Jon
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Your refrigerator is frost free, it uses those heaters to thaw the evaporator coil. It is totally normal and happens once or twice per day. There is nothing that will need to be addressed, the appliance is working as designed.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. My concerne is that on part of the element gets so red hot that some of the frozen food in front warms up. Could it be that the element or the controller are running to long/high?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If it is staying on long enough to thaw food, then you likely have a defrost sensor that is faulty. Can you please post the rest of the model number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, soory been away a while. Anyway the rest of the model no is - 163 with the S/N(###) ###-####
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

That model uses a manual defrost thermostat. It is mounted at the top of the evaporator coil in the freezer. It is a round, metal thermostat with two wires and it probably needs to be replaced.