Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a wd10uk and it was found with water pouring out of

Customer Question

hi i have a wd10uk and it was found with water pouring out of the soap box ,after switching of and cleaning up the water ,water again was found coming out, the machine was fially switched of and allowed to dry out as every thing was wet , after a few checks and found that the machine was continually running when swithched on taking water that is and draining ,also the select dial spinning round i decided the module was gone having taken it out i found there were tracking marks and burnt areas to panal i hacve replaced this today but found that the set dial still spins and the machine still takes on water ans drains at the same time any ideas
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

When the dial is turning look at the start light/power light and it will be flashing you need to count the number of flashes from it in between the pause and let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately i cant do that here now because it is in the flat and i am away from it at the moment but i will do that asap,
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

No worries that's fine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi daniel ,when the machine is switched on initially the light apparently flashed 12 times ?i have asked that they wait for the dial set button to start turning before counting
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Ok 12 flashes is a communication error code between the main control board at the back and the front control unit.

Normally for this error code you need to unplug the washer from the plug socket and leave it 30 min as it will allow the electronics to reset itself.

But if that doesn't cure it then its going to be the main control board at the back at the bottom at fault here im afraid. In this case the control board is a very expensive repair as you need to get indesit in as they have to program it with there laptop so given the age of the model its usually not worth the repair.

So try the above and see how it goes from there.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi daniel there must be some confusion with communication, i did say at the start that i fitted a new board as the other one was burnt out the board came from hotpoint and was programmed as i bought it that way from the suppliers, after fitting i plugged the machine in and the machine had the same problem , after a short while it takes on water and the pump runs at the same time,then the dial if set on 3/4 would then start going round on its own , this carries on until the machine is switched off . you mention the front communication board is that the one where the set button is because there are no other boards on the front panel , i have checked with the module suppliers and they assure me it is the correct one although this one seems to have an extra black relay box attached can the vacume unit on the top right hand cause this although i think this is working as it clicks in and out i am unsure that it is clicking when filling hence the continual water running and pump working ,one other thing i noted when machine is on the fan on the heater /drying unit is running also ?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok Hotpoint don't actually send out programmed modules. Did you get it direct from them yourself?

Or did they send you out a microchip in a small box that you have to insert it into the board yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i bought it from a supply company who ordered it from hotpoint and before i bought it i specifically asked that it would be programmed because i have done a few of these before and i am aware that that generally come un programmed but the guy told me that hotpoint now do this for you, i did not check to see of it had a chip on the unit , i did notice the chip on the old one when i was checking it , if i had bought it from say indesit supplier you can buy what they call a one time use programme unit that plugs in the back , the last one i fitted was a reconditioned one which was programmed already so i am a little mystified as to why we should have such issues to be honest ,i called indesit they don't even have a tech adviser it seems they are a bunch of wankers
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Indesit technical only speak to there own engineers im afraid and to be honest when I worked for them they wasn't the best help anyway so I gave up speaking to them. I used to work direct for Indesit a few years back so I was lucky as I used to have a hardware key that plugs into the back so I could use the laptop to programme them up rather then use the one use smartcard.

But the fault you describe with the water filling all the time is a control board fault as I replaced loads of them for that fault as the tracking used to burn and cause that.

But with the 12 flashes you have as well then its the main board not speaking to the control at the top. But to be honest with you we did used to get a lot of them boards faulty from new as they are older boards so they are just sitting around on shelfs in the warehouse and get moisture in there and this can cause the new boards to fail straight away so that was a fault you did find on these.

Buy first remove the top and check behind the selector and check wiring block and remove it and refit it a few times to make a better connection.

But if after that its still flashing the 12 times or its still filling up when it shouldn't then its looking like a faulty new board as that's the only part that can cause this fault im afraid.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i did check the plugs at the top done the wiggle test on cables,to make sure all is well , the new one was pretty well packed, only the plastic cover was a little bent and the board looked pristine but like you say you cant tell if moisture has caused a problem , problem is i go away Wednesday and doesn't give me much time to deal with the firm i bought this from , or carry on checking the machine and its connections , so am a bit stuck now , the tenants not going to wait for my return , would the chip on the old one be still in good order i can maybe fit that one on to see if works, i could see the tracking at the bottom and one connecting the relay behind the front row , i was tempted to repair and check but thought better of it so replaced it , the plugs on the module cant be mixed up either as far as i know , so am a little stumped with this ?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Yes the eeprom (chip) will more then likely be fine so just swap them over from the old board to the new one and just see how it goes. As if the old board had blown then is more then likely the eeprom will be fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i will try that tomorrow as a last ditch effort hopefully will work , hey you guys should be paying me ?if it doesnt work will have to get another machine as no time to fix this and no where to store it pain ?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

No worries let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Daniel
just been to the w/m and started the machine, by switching main switch on all buttons and dials not calling , put the on button to on and the machine flashed 12 times and then paused ,then flashed 3 times , so this would mean there is another fault correct , it paused after 3 then flahed 3 times a watched this for a while as the dial went round on its own the machine took on water and continually pumped out ?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Okay if you have three flashes this is an NTC temperature sensor fault. Remove the back and look at the bottom of the drum on the back and you will see the temperature sensor there with two wires going to it. Give the wires a talk as sometimes they can break inside the block but if that is okay you need to test the temperature sensor with a multimeter. It usually reads about 20K ohms. If faulty and you need to replace the NTC.

Check that out and see what you find and let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does that temp sensor come in when the water comes in to heat it up because i could feel the water in the rubber hose hot when the machine was not on but the temp of water was hot so am thinking the element was on so am assuming the sensor is broken down i am not good with multi meters never learnt to use one i would suspect setting to one of the dial markings and just touching the wires across the two points ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would this sensor make the machine work on all the time though ?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I did reply this afternoon to you but looks like it didn't go through.

To test the NTC you need to set your meter to Kohms scale. Set it to 20,000 ohms scale (20K) and then remove the wiring block from the NTC and place each probe onto the tags on there and see what reading you get.

But as to the heater coming on without setting to a hot wash then the NTC doesn't really control that as its just a resistor sensor so the control board picks up the resistance of the sensor and that's how it knows how hot it is as the resistance changes as the temperature changes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi daniel thanks i have ordered one and will have my son fit it on and run the machine to test ,as i am away , failing that i cant see anything else that can cause this , the bit about hot wash it matters not does it because the element will come in even at a 30 degree wash since the machine takes on cold water most of the time and the water is always colder than 30 degrees,what i cant figure out is, why when the water is called at the start,of the programme which is normal why does the pump continue to run when it should be off, the water should fill to its level but cant because the pump is running,therefore the the machine cant get to its level to click the vacume for the machine to start its wash ,so it seems the machine is not getting over the first start up sequence but as this is going on the heater/dryer fan is also running, so am still not sure we are on the right track here we will see ?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

When you get the F03 fault this is the only error code that keeps the drain pump running so that will be why its doing this.

So if you have ordered one then fingers crossed that cause it from there.