Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

We have a Miele Dishwasher, in trouble, the outlet inlet

Customer Question

Hi there , we have a Miele Dishwasher , in trouble , the outlet inlet light is flashing but the in and out are working fine , all the normal check shave been done and still the light remains , with fault code showing in the 6'oclock position
-- we had an issue a 2 weeks before with the bottom polystyrene float engaging the drain pump -- i think that was related -- as in the water not draining properly would hold more water then usual and then slowly drip out of the higher seals on the door corners to the bottom pan etc -- cleared all the water -- thought we'd cleared the problem after cleaning the seals etc -- no dripping water --
but the inlet/outlet now flashing and unsolveable for me right now . Desperately need our dishwasher back . Its Miele Premier G640 . Its looks in great nick underneath end like it has many more years left
despite its age . Many Thanks
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Joel thank you for your interest in our service. If you have been waiting a while

I apologize we try to help as many customers as possible in a timely manner. I am now

available to help you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gr8 Joel Hi

If the unit is filling with water properly and you have checked all the drains/drain hoses for blockage, sink for proper draining and have cleaned all the filters per the normal checks you say have been done, then you will have to replace the drain pump, it is either bad or has trash in it one.

You can try to clear the pump of trash first to see if that is the problem if not, you will have to replace it.

Open the dishwasher and remove the bottom roll out rack.

Lift out the sump filter by turning the handle 90 deg. and lifting out.

It’s easier at this stage, if you remove the water out of the dishwasher sump with a small container and then a sponge.
Once the water is out of the dishwasher you should have a clear view of the pump cover on one side at the bottom of the sump.

To remove the drain pump cover will depend on which model dishwasher you have.
Some model have a wire clip and others have a vertical standing plastic clip.

Once you remove the clip the pump cover will lift up.
When you do this a small amount of water will gush out of the non return valve.
Mop the rest of the water out so you can get a good look at the pump.

Check the non return valve is free for the ball to rattle around inside and there is no obstructions.
Now check the pump impeller turn freely and there is nothing stopping it from turning.

The new style of drain pump will have a slight magnetic pull in a couple places as you turn it.
Be careful of possible sharp glass or metal pieces in the drain pump.

Once it is all clear reassemble in the reverse order. Then test the dishwasher again.

please take into consideration we are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is that

you take this time to rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page

or wherever the 5 star rating system is located on your page (sometimes it's hard to find

but it's there). Rating me will not in any way cost you anymore than you have already paid.

We techs only get a SMALL PORTION of whatever you have chosen to pay after a good star

rating is chosen. This is the only way I am credited through the site for my time. This will

also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions. TIPS are not

expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid that doesn't help at all ! We done all those things . The first thing we always do as I said in : what have checked : is the non return valve and propellar are clear of debris . The pump works fine . Drain water etc . Could it be the float switch ? I really need you to be familliar with this make of dishwasher . Is there a float switch ? Why would the pump need replacing if at the beginning of every cycle it pump the water out find ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fine

There is a float switch that also triggers this and over time if water has collected in the base pan the float switch can stick. Pull out the dishwasher and tilt it towards to back. If there is any water in the base pan it will come out. To be thorough, put the machine on it's back and remove the base pan (4 screws by the feet), the float switch is a circular plastic casing with a polystyrene float in it. It comes apart for servicing, the float can jam if there is any rubbish in the water.

if everything checks out like you say, that should be your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that won't be it . That has a polystyrene float that engages the pump incase of a leak . It rises with the water leval engaging the pump which runs continuously until the float drops back . This is something else internal .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it were jammed the pump would be on .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's something else .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just don't know what is why I'm here !

I'm at a loss at this point maybe another tech can be of more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you pass over refer me pls Joel - sorry - it's a tricky - and important

Well I did some digging I got you the service tech manual for the unit and have uploaded it do google drive for you, it will show you how to get into service mode and pull the error codes, should tell you exactly what is wrong, I would appreciate you giving me a rating for this, Thanks.

service manual