Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Appliance Technician
Experience:  UK and Australian appliance repair specialist.
21107370

My bosch dishwasher will only drain by lifting up the grey

Customer Question

Hi my bosch dishwasher will only drain by lifting up the grey float inside
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

So you lift up the float and it fills?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it drains when lift up the float
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But doesn't drain by itself
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only drains manually by lifting up the float thing

OK so you are lifting up the overflow float correct under the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I start the dishwasher cycle after a short time water starts overflowing out of the btm, so I open the door to find water about 2 inches deep. I then pull up the the grey float thing and the water drains
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's inside the unit

Ok so the unit just overfills and never starts to run a cycle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does overfill, but It sounds like it's trying to do a cycle, Its hard to say because I haven't let it run for long because it overflows quite quickly

OK how do you get the water to stop filling in the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Open the door

Does the water stop right away then, this sounds like a fill valve issue, the valve could be sticking open or fill sensor could be bad and causing it to overfill, but normally that would be a bad valve typically on the Bosch units.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I find out for sure what it is and is it easy to replace?

Ok what you can do is check to see if the unit is supplying constant power to the valve when you start a cycle....it should fill for about 1 minute then power should at some point be cut to the valve...if you lose power to the valve and it is still filling replace the valve. If it is still sending power to the valve the entire time until you open the door I would say you have a control issue.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure how to check if power is going to the valve???

You would need to use a volt meter and place it across the two wires going to the valve when it is filling to check for power and watch it on your volt meter to see if power cuts off as it should to stop the unit from filling any further, chances are you just have a sticky valve causing the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'm not at home at the moment. when I am home later could I then contact u to talk me through how to check for a sticky valve

Yes just see if you have a volt meter