Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Zanussi ZDF221. When the machine is turned on it

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Zanussi ZDF221. When the machine is turned on it appears to begin the cycle but after a couple of minutes it stops. The on/of light flashes constantly whilst the end light flashes twice. According to the ops manual this is a blocked drain pipe, however I've checked this and all is good. I've tipped some water in to the bottom of the machine and this does get pumped out as it should on start up so all appears to be ok. Any ideas where to look next please?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! In the picture at the link below, numbers 12 & 12A are pressure switches. I suspect the problem you are having lies with one of them or the lines going to them, they may simply need to be cleaned. Can you access those lines to the pressure switches and blow through them? Does air easily pass?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I've blown through both the pipes and they are clear. The pressure switches appear to be the same so I've swapped these but no change. Not sure where to go next.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Can you access the plastic tank that is mounted on the left side of the tub (outside panel will need to be removed) and see if there are any blockages in there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tall narrow one on the side is clear. The tank underneath this has some residue towards the rear. Should I remove and clean?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if anything is in there, it will need to be cleaned out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly, I've been away so sorry for the late reply. I removed the tank and swilled it out - to be fair this was quite clean. The pipe connecting the tank to the bowl had a bit of residue in it but not blocked. I re-assembled it and it did do a full cycle - but only 1 and then back to the original problem. I'm guessing that something is telling it that it still has water in the bowl when it doesn't. I see there is some sort of sensor (probe) in the bottom of the bowl. What does this do???
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

That part monitors the water temperature.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the machine first starts up and the pump runs to discharge any water what tells the system the water has all gone and how does this function ??
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Those pressure switches that I had you check very first are what monitors the water in the machine. As water enters and exits, the air pressure changes to those switches.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly, I've stripped out the water tank again and have found that there was still water in the bottom. There is a compartment in there with brown like granules (filter??). Water won't easily pass through this so I'm guessing this may be the issue?
Change the tank? Or can it be cleaned? Or scrap the machine?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It will likely need to be replaced if you cannot get it cleaned out.